The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 05:00 PM

peter hanman will become famous soon enoughpeter hanman will become famous soon enough
Default New Waders

So I'm thinking about buying a new set of waders and I'm stuck between two. The Redington Sonic Pro and the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. I love them both and they are both about the same price range. Any thoughts? Which do you prefer and why?
Old 12-31-2014, 06:04 PM

tcorfey will become famous soon enoughtcorfey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Waders

I bought the Orvis zip front sonics earlier this year and I am absolutely happy with the purchase. Very comfortable, no problem climbing over and under stuff, holds up well working through brush and over rocks. With the 5 pockets I can fish without a jacket, pack or vest. Front zipper is great for making a pit stop and no leaks when in water up over my belly (past the zipper) however, it does feel cold when water is on the zipper (I thought it had leaked the first time).
Old 12-31-2014, 10:12 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough

Agree with the above...very happy user here. Especially like the zipper for when nature calls.

I went with the Orvis because I had a chance to try them on before purchasing. The shop that handled Redington didn't have them in stock and wanted me to order a size based on the chart.
fredaevans and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:56 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Agree with the above...very happy user here. Especially like the zipper for when nature calls.

I went with the Orvis because I had a chance to try them on before purchasing. The shop that handled Redington didn't have them in stock and wanted me to order a size based on the chart.
My son in law got my redingtons, neoprene booties were a hair too big for me. Orvis will get my business if I ever have to replace my G4z simms soley based on price.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 PM

sndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the rough

are you a size large?
Orvis Silver Sonic Zipper Wader : Royal Gorge Anglers
hairwing530 and repperson29 like this.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
I bought the Orvis zip front sonics earlier this year and I am absolutely happy with the purchase. Very comfortable, no problem climbing over and under stuff, holds up well working through brush and over rocks. With the 5 pockets I can fish without a jacket, pack or vest. Front zipper is great for making a pit stop and no leaks when in water up over my belly (past the zipper) however, it does feel cold when water is on the zipper (I thought it had leaked the first time).
+1 for the Orvis zip front Silver Sonics. At my age that zipper sure is nice for those frequent pit stops after drinking a couple cups of coffee on the way to the river.
hairwing530 and photoguy like this.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 AM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
+1 for the Orvis zip front Silver Sonics. At my age that zipper sure is nice for those frequent pit stops after drinking a couple cups of coffee on the way to the river.
Ha! My son keeps asking "dad, are you OK?"...I keep thinking - just wait till you get to be my age.

hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 AM

repperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to beholdrepperson29 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
Just picked a pair of those up, couldnt beat that price. Had a pair of G3s already that I bought this past fall but may have to return them (I left the tags on) if this Orvis pair is anywhere near as nice as them.

Thanks for the heads up!
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:12 AM

sndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the roughsndmn11 is a jewel in the rough

At that price with the orvis guarantee, I considered grabbing them up just to have a backups to my simms.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:42 AM

dan1942 is on a distinguished road

Seems like a great price? I wish they had a medium.