The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By comeonavs
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simms Rivertek 2 Boa boot????

I saw this review about the new Simms Rivertek 2 Boa boot over on MidCurrent (its the second review from the top). He gives the new Rivertek 2 Boa boat a very favorable review. I'm shopping for boots this year, and just wondering if anyone on the forum has a pair and what do they think of them. My current wading boat is the Simms G4 Guide boot which I really like, especially after adding cleats, but the interior lining is starting to fail after several seasons of fishing.

Grumpy No More! The Year in Gear | MidCurrent

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms Rivertek 2 Boa boot????

I don't have the Rivertek 2 but the original. Gotta say Larry I bought them and the G4 BOA this year (summer/winter boots). If I had to go back in time I would have just gotten two pair of the RiverTek boots in boa

They are pretty solid and comfortable.
mcnerney likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Brian: Thanks for the feedback, I find it is always better to get the opinion of someone that has actually used the product vice someone doing a product review.
comeonavs likes this.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:29 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I also have the first Riverteks with Boa laces.
I'd say this.
1) if you wear them alot the laces start to fray. They are guaranteed for life by Boa so you can order replacement parts online for free. I have replaced laces about 3 times and the wheel just once.
2) They do work best when you take the wheel off and clean it out once and a while. It gets sand in there and makes it work tougher. especially the un-snapping when you want to take them off.
3) if you fish in very cold weather, ice forming cold, they can be tough to get the wheel to pop open. I had to make a tool to pop the wheel open cause the cold hands just didn't work out good.
4) I find that every once and a while I have to adjust the laces because the tongue on the boot gets shifted to one side. No big deal.
Overall I like them better than laces.
My favorite setup is boot foot waders, no more fiddle farting around with boots at all. Much quicker and easier to get on and off. And a little warmer in the winter.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Klunker: Thanks for the review and how to maintain the Boa system.
For winter fishing, I have been thinking about getting a new pair of 5 mm neoprene waders, this time boot foot for the same reason you described.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold

I have had the original for a few months and I like them allright. They have quite a bit more support/stiffness in the upper than I would truly like. You may be after that and you may not. I covered all the seams in seamgrip/aqua seal when they were new, so as far as durability goes, they are doing great.
I love the BOA. I have had the boa in all wading footwear i have owned since 2009 (I think) and have never had a lace fray, a wheel get locked or frozen, or anything mildly inconvenient happen because of the BOA. If you are worried, you can go to BOA's site and make a preemptive laces and wheels order and keep them in your gear bag.
With that said, I surely wouldn't hesitate to wear the Riverteks again (especially at closeout prices) and if I were buying at full retail, I would have a little bit of an internal debate in sticking with the BOA, or going for something like the vapor which I think would offer the ankle mobility that I would prefer.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndmn11 View Post
They have quite a bit more support/stiffness in the upper than I would truly like. You may be after that and you may not.
That is good to know and exactly what I'm looking for, last summer I rolled my left ankle 5-6 times, but didn't want to stop fishing to get it fixed. After a number of PT sessions it is doing great, but I think I would enjoy the extra support.
mridenour likes this.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:29 AM

Vulpes is a jewel in the roughVulpes is a jewel in the roughVulpes is a jewel in the rough

Just pulled the trigger on a pair. I hope they hold up. I'm sure they will having read what I've read so far.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:11 AM

jcw355 is a name known to alljcw355 is a name known to alljcw355 is a name known to alljcw355 is a name known to alljcw355 is a name known to alljcw355 is a name known to all

A couple guys, on another fishing forum I visit, had problems with them. There's even a picture of his boot wrapped in tape to his waders. If I can find the thread I'll post the link. I'm sticking with shoe strings.
http://wvangler.websitetoolbox.com/p...post1285917469 This is one guys experience
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

I have a pair of Simms G4 Boa's and G4 waders that I bought last winter, and both are still in their boxes. Reason being is I found the G4's on "that big auction site" new and still I the box for $300 shipped to my door and couldn't pass on them. I was reluctant to spend $180 on boots, especially when my current wading boot is the Cabela's Guide boot that I paid $60 for 10 years ago, but are still holding up fine. After reading several reviews on these forums, I decided to go ahead and buy them. I'm anxious to try them out, but cannot bring myself to retire my Simms G3's/Cablea's Guide boot just quite yet.