The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 12:08 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice
Default When are they going to make this night fishing aid?

Those of us who love to fish at night know what a problem it can be in attaching flies to the leader, rebuilding that leader or untangling knots.

There have been a lot of night lights on the market, but I haven't seen a red light system.

As most of you probably know, red light at night doesn't have near the effect upon diminishing your night vision as does white light and blue is even worst.

I'd like to see a fly box which has an inside with an inside with a screen which you could charge by shining your flashlight onto the surface to charge it in a red color. You could then silhouette your fly and leader against that screen so you could see to tie a knot thread an eye etc. without destroying your night vision.
mcnerney, cochise and hairwing530 like this.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:16 PM

nevadanstig has a spectacular aura aboutnevadanstig has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: When are they going to make this night fishing aid?

If thats what you want, you could just wire in a few small red LEDs with a rechargeable battery in one of those fly boxes with a clear lid. It would be pretty easy to do.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:14 PM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

Many of the cheap headlights have a red LED on them. They are great for this sort of thing.

No silhouette option with that though.

Maybe put some red cellophane/plastic over your phone's screen and use that as the backdrop.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 PM

wolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nicewolfglen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
If thats what you want, you could just wire in a few small red LEDs with a rechargeable battery in one of those fly boxes with a clear lid. It would be pretty easy to do.
Looking more for something that's luminous, charge it by shining the flash light into it for a few seconds. then you have a background which glows for a few hours as a back light so you can see the leader and fly against it, that way there's no flash which upsets the fish.

Light at night which is still attracts stuff light which moves or is sudden scares them. You should see the fish bolt in my ponds at night if I turn a flash light on the water to see if there are any gators there.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use a 130 lumen BLACKDIAMOND SPOT headlamp with red and white LEDs and a dimmer so you can set the light level. It has a battery level monitor to tell you when batteries are wearing out. I carry spare batteries and a small spare led flashlight as a backup.

You can just put on the RED leds and vary the light intensity. This is the 5th headlamp system I've bought as they have gotten better and more sophisticated and this one is the best yet.

The Best Headlamp | The Wirecutter

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 PM

ts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use a 130 lumen BLACKDIAMOND SPOT headlamp with red and white LEDs and a dimmer so you can set the light level. It has a battery level monitor to tell you when batteries are wearing out. I carry spare batteries and a small spare led flashlight as a backup.

You can just put on the RED leds and vary the light intensity. This is the 5th headlamp system I've bought as they have gotten better and more sophisticated and this one is the best yet.

The Best Headlamp | The Wirecutter
Wow Silver... That's pretty slick! And, you can just turn the red light on without cycling through the bright white first! I may have to get one of those.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Red light for headlamps isn't all that new. We have Blackdiamond headlamp's as does Silver and it's very effective.

"I've never missed a Steelhead by waiting too long. It's true, but I've missed plenty trying to set the hook too quickly." Dec Hogan 'A Passion For Steelhead'

Old 06-04-2015, 06:28 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Go BLue! I started using blue at night.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Go BLue! I started using blue at night.
Blue is at the opposite end of the spectrum and is the worst for destroying your night vision. Ever notice how when they use red for emergency vehicle lights, you can still see once you get past them while with blue you are more night blind?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:58 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I guess my spectrum is backards.