The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 2 Post By zug buggin
  • 2 Post By GrtLksMarlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 AM

djcoin is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on spinning rod fly fishing system.

Hello. I'm new to fly fishing and I'm looking forward to doing some this summer.
In my research I have discovered that fly fishing line has to be replaced with relative frequency.

I can sometimes go long periods of time without resupply when I go into the backcountry.

I'm looking for a more long lasting, self sustaining, solution than something that requires me to keep replacing parts.

I noticed that some people use flies with spinning rods and bubbles and claim that this method is more effective than purist methods.

In any case, having a bobber system where I don't have to worry about the line wearing out seems ideal.

The problem is I want a system that can function in fast moving streams as well as lakes.

The typical spinning rod fly fishing system seems to have long leaders so I don't know if this type of system can work in streams or even in fast moving water.
Does anyone have any experience in this area?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 AM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need advice on spinning rod fly fishing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoin View Post
In my research I have discovered that fly fishing line has to be replaced with relative frequency.
First of all welcome to the forum. I think you will find the members very helpful here.

As to your question, could you possibly post the source of the info? I ask that because the actual fly line is not a high wear item. They usually last for years. Tippets and leaders are items that are consumed in fishing, but I could fit a years supply in my shirt pocket.
tcorfey likes this.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:17 AM

rockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. A good fly line will last for years.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 PM

zug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to allzug buggin is a name known to all

I agree with ia trouter you've gotten some bad info, the line lasts for years, the leader lasts for several trips, now the tippet is replaced as flies are broken off ect. 1 spool of tippet material lasts me all season. I mostly trout fish and thats frequently in fast moving water. The best thing to do would be get in with local fly fishermen nothing they like better than teaching a newbie
ia_trouter and tcorfey like this.
The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold

In actuality it is spinning line (monofilament and the like) that needs to be replaced frequently, not fly line as others have stated.

B.E.F.
weiliwen and tcorfey like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.