Traditional vest vs. chest pack, sling pack, etc.

jayr

Reaction score
Back when I started fly fishing, many moons ago, fly vests were the only option for the most part. I have continued to stay with a vest, but what do you all use?

Advantages/disadvantages, etc. There are so many options now, it's mind boggling.

I don't know if this is useful or not, but I traditionally fish small mountain "blue line" streams. Great Smokies and western NC small streams for the majority.

Any advice?

Thx!

jonbo

Reaction score
jayr, I'm currently using a Patagonia waist pack. I kind of like it and kind of don't. It really stays out of your way and you forget you have it on. It pulls around to the front easily where your stuff is really easy to get at. It's kind of small in capacity. That doesn't bother me as I travel light and tend not to go too far from the car too long or take too long a hike, so no water bottle, lunch, etc.

The problem I have with it is something I should have foreseen. Being around my waist it's too low on my body. I nearly always, on a tailwater, want to go in deep enough to where I get everything in my waistpack wet. It might be good for you in small creeks. It does stay out of the way really nicely and you barely know it's there. You could carry a small backpack if you're hiking in for several hours.

ts47

Reaction score
I use a vest during colder months, because it helps keep me warm and a large sling pack the rest of the time. I use a Simms Guide Vest and almost anyone's large sling pack. There are several these days that are all good. I, personally, am not a fan of waist packs.

If you run a search here, I think you may find another thread or two that covers this topic. You may find some helpful info there as well.

Last edited:
J

james w 3 3

When I'm fishing the small mountain streams of California I can carry what little tackle I need in my shirt pockets. So I just use a quite small climbers type backpack for my other stuff, water bottle, lunch, camera, rain jacket and a bit of emergency stuff. Very stable climbing around stuff.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I have an allen gallatin ultra light. On your front, its very similar to a traditional vest. Other than that, its just three straps so your sides and back are completely open. Pretty much can hold everything a traditional vest can, but it helps me stay a little cooler during the scorching summers.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

tcorfey

Reaction score
For me it all depends on the day, the weather and where I am fishing.

Sometimes it's just shirtpockets and a Lanyard.
Sometimes its a vest.
Sometimes i use a sling bag.
Sometimes I use a waistpack.
Sometimes I use this little bag I got that just fits over my shoulder.
Sometimes i use a small daypack with a water bladder.
Sometimes I use the four pockets on my zip front waders.
Sometimes I use a larger daypack and bladder big enough for an overnight.
Sometimes I use my waterproof Guide jacket.

Many times it is some combination of the above.

My friends and family say I should turn my garage into a sporting goods store or at least a fly shop. I say it is good to have choices.

Regards Tim C.

huntschool

Reaction score
I, Like many others here, have several vest, sling, waist packs that I use but it really only comes down to two these days.

My wife found a Jansport waist/shoulder bag in a flea market and bought it thinking it would make a great fly fishing pack. Its small by most counts; 9" high x 6" across x 3" front to back with a 1' front to back x 5" x 6" zippered front pocket with a smaller (thin) pocket on the front of that. It actually is very much like what we have come to know as a "flats pack."

I can carry a ton of flys/tippet/leaders/fly float and other sorted stuff including zingers (attached) and forcepts in this thing. It has a waist belt and a shoulder strap. I dont know why, due to its small size but... actually they work well for how I use it. When I am just "out fishing" with it I keep the shoulder strap long so it hangs at my waist but via the waist belt I keep it in the back. If I need it I just slide it around like a sling pack. If I get into deeper water I loosen the waist belt and raise (shorten) the shoulder strap and I am good to go. The only thing it does not have is a work station fold down. I dont like those any way so no big deal for me....

Here is a pic:

If you are working close to your vehicle or camp or just want to go light I really think something like this is the way to go. I can also get some energy bars etc in it......

ezduzit

Reaction score
Fishing from a float tube, a vest keeps everything close at hand and is extremely comfortable. The storage provided in the tube is OK but useful for other purposes than the many small things you need organized.

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
I think the choice really boils down to personal preference including how and where you fish.

I use a waist / hip / lumbar pack and really like it. Advantages:
-- Easier on the lower back. Since weight is carried on your hips rather than shoulders / upper back there is less strain on lower back muscles. With all of bending, crouching, etc. that goes into a day on the stream this makes a big difference for me.
-- Less clutter to catch line and otherwise get in the way while fishing. This assumes, of course, that the pack stays behind you while fishing (and swung in front for rerigging).
-- Good capacity. This depends on the specific pack, but there are plenty of packs, like the Waterdance, that will carry several fly boxes, all the usual accessories, a water bottle, and a sandwich.
-- Cooler. Without a vest and pack one your shoulders / back, it's a little cooler.

Disadvantages:
-- Deep wading. I don't really like wading deep anyway, so its not an issue for me but it is a limitation.
-- Harder to carry a net. This has been a challenge, but there are some solutions and many of the newer hip packs have a net sleeve.

jonbo

Reaction score
-- Harder to carry a net. This has been a challenge, but there are some solutions and many of the newer hip packs have a net sleeve.
I'm tellin' ya' JS, do this: Get a magnet gadget they sell for a net. Don't know the brand, assume they're still being sold in fly shops. Two strong magnets, each with a ring attached. You hang one magnet from a loop on the side of your belt (I assume there are loops.) The other magnet you attach to the top of the net, base of the handle, that is, around where the net loop joins the handle. Then when the magnets grab each other the net is hanging, handle up, from the belt, and the net isn't hanging too low. The elastic lanyard on my net I attach to a loop right next to the magnet belt loop. On the occasion, about once each outing , that the net pulls loose, the lanyard keeps it from getting away. (So you do need that lanyard with this method.)

luked

Reaction score
I use the Patagonia sling pack and love it. I have had just a chest pack as well as a vest. and still prefer the sling pack for my fishing. I don't carry boxes and boxes of flies. I use the cliffs boxes that I can really get a large variety of flies into two boxes. and have plenty of room left for other goodies as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I remember someone (Tom Rosenbauer maybe ?) recently saying that nothing pegs you as being an "old guy" like wearing a vest :rolleyes:

I'm a vest guy myself. Most of the time anyway.
Besides, where else are you going to keep your patches ?

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Personally, I cannot stand a chest pack and it makes me wonder what in the heck is wrong with my wife for her continual "upgrades." I still have and use some old cheap no name vest with a gazillion pockets front and back, yet have been trying to not use it to force myself to go lean.

I literally store all of my freshwater "stuff" except for rods, reels and waders in the vest to keep it organized....and naturally that you just know you'll need what you don't take, I take it all, and it is a lot. However, I've been trying to lean up by refusing to wear the vest and use a sling pack instead. Yet frankly it makes me feel like some nekkid minimalist hippie, so I'm debating on how I can do the vest again without taking everything yet still keep it all organized.

B.E.F.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I have evolved to the point where I look to travel as light as possible, no vest, no pack, nothing but what I fit in jacket pockets. I have used them all my last being an old Filson Foul Weather Strap Vest, I love that thing but.............. On a long day any kind of pack or vest which is slung over the shoulder or both shoulders and clavicle / scapula's, end up giving me pain in the trapezoid muscles as well as neck and upper back. When you are young it doesn't seem to bother so much but as you age it's a pain.

My advice is to try to become a minimalist :)

bigjim5589

Reaction score
First, I don't generally like paying a lot for such things & don't get too wrapped up in brand names.

I have several means of carrying my gear, including a couple of vests. I've got two of the chest packs, a couple fanny packs & a couple of side bags. For the most part they're all fairly simple designs. I use each type primarily based on what type of fishing I'm intending to do & will combine them is I feel like I need to carry more stuff.

My most used is a olive drab canvas military surplus gas mask bag. It's the type that looks like a messenger or laptop bag but has two straps. One strap fits over the shoulder, the other around the body so it doesn't flop around much. Such bags used to be cheap to get but have become more popular so are now higher in price than when I first started using them many years ago. I think I paid about $5 for the first one and about $15 for the last two. They don't last forever, but I can generally get about 10 years use from one. Still, I can't see paying $100 for a similar bag just because it has some brand name associated with it. :rolleyes:

How's this for simple yet effective? Here I have one strap over the shoulder, while the other is cinched up behind the bag, not even being used. And yes, I like olive drab & camo! :D

Similar type bag.