The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2015, 08:59 AM

mc1960 is on a distinguished road
Default New vise

I have never tied a fly in my 55 years, I fish for mainly panfish, but living near the coast, may also go for some speckled trout and redfish. I am just getting into fly fishing, have done most of my fishing on ultralight tackle, I have done a lot of reading on the internet and have a short list of the vises that I think would work well for me. I would appreciate your thoughts on the following choices. These are all in my budget, if there is another within this price range I would like to know about it as well. I am leaning towards the Peak rotary. Thanks for all of your help. Mark

Renzetti Traveler 2000 Vise 170.00 Orvis

Peak Rotary Fly-Tying Vise 155.00 Cabela's

HMH Spartan Vise 140.00 on sale Cabela's

Anvil Apex 115.00 Bass Pro Shop
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 AM

spm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud of
Default Re: New vise

First of all, welcome to the forum. You will find answers to most all of your questions here; lots of good people on here willing to help.

I use the Anvil Apex vise and it does everything I need a vise to do.

Again, welcome to the forum.
steve, aka spm
hairwing530 and onemississipp like this.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: New vise

RENZETTI,no. 1 for quality.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:40 AM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

If the price tag is not a problem, I second the Renzetti. It's what I tie with. It will also handle hooks up to a 4/0 for your bigger flies. Before buying one and assuming you have the option, you could visit a store or two and actually lay hands on the different vices just in case there is something YOU like with one over the other.

The question to ask yourself is - do you want the C-clamp or the base? I prefer the base. There is no special knowledge here. I don't tie in just one place. I find the base gives me more options than the C-clamp. It's all personal preference though.

And yes... to the forum.
hairwing530 likes this.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 12-27-2015, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the welcome SPM, and all of your thoughts so far. Mark
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:32 PM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

Renzetti Traveler 2000 Vise 170.00 Orvis

Peak Rotary Fly-Tying Vise 155.00 Cabela's

HMH Spartan Vise 140.00 on sale Cabela's

Anvil Apex 115.00 Bass Pro Shop[/QUOTE]

The order I'd pick one in, top to bottom.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 PM

fishguy613 is on a distinguished road

Same ^
The Peak is a great vice but if the traveller is only $20 more that would be the way to go. The renzetti is better in most ways except for the base, I love the big heavy peak pedestal base
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:54 PM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

mc1960,

There really isn't a bad vise in the bunch. Personally, I've had an on-going love affair with my HMH vise for quite awhile now, though I'll admit to tying some on all of the vise listed, as well as a Regal Medallion and a Dyna-King Barracuda. In the end, a good vise is a good vise, and you've got some great ones in your list.

Welcome to the addiction known as fly-tying, no matter your arrival at the party, so to speak...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
rockriver, mc1960 and herchammer like this.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:31 PM

Thanks for all of the thoughts, I ordered the Renzetti Traveler 2000 left hand pedestal base, but it won't be available for shipment until mid January. Signed up for their e-mail notification, got $10 off, gift card and other offers final cost about $83.00. I am going Saturday for the fly casting 101 to get some instruction for my new rod and reel. The wife is going with me to the class, hope to get her interested.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

You'll like that vise. I don't have one but have used one. Just haven't been able to let go of the cash when my ancient Universal Rotary seems to work just fine...lol. Keep buying fly rods instead.
hairwing530 and herchammer like this.