The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM

coug is a jewel in the roughcoug is a jewel in the roughcoug is a jewel in the roughcoug is a jewel in the rough
Default Line winders

Curious what others are using for line winders. Between my two-handers and single handers I seem to be switching lines on reels all of the time. The Reel E Good is a good idea, but kind of cheap and slippage of the spool is a problem. The Anglers Image also works but there is no place to attach the reel. So just curious if there is some winder out there I am not aware of.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:59 PM

spm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant futurespm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Line winders

I use an old spool from a fly line, on a carriage bolt with a couple washers held in a bench vise. It's not pretty, but it works.

steve
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:21 PM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold

I am very happy with the Rio Cranky kit and with small adjustment (rubber band) I can use it with any spools.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 PM

duker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to all

There was a great thread on this not too long ago--do a search. Ard made his own winder, and others chimed in with what they used.

I've got an Angler's Image winder that I bought at the Bear's Den. It clamps onto your table/work bench and adjusts to whatever size loop you want your winded-up line to be. It won't wind onto a spool, just off of one, but you can remove and replace lines quite easily and it's handy for cleaning lines with a wipe or line cleaning device. When I'm removing lines I put my reel in the vise on my work bench and unwind from the reel.

Those Rio Cranky kits look neat--I like the option of rewinding back onto the same spool.

Scott
mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
Curious what others are using for line winders. Between my two-handers and single handers I seem to be switching lines on reels all of the time. The Reel E Good is a good idea, but kind of cheap and slippage of the spool is a problem. The Anglers Image also works but there is no place to attach the reel. So just curious if there is some winder out there I am not aware of.
I wonder .. again.

My daughter walking down the street. Tugg-tugg, deal done, tossed her, tent, cooking gear, stop and buy food, a couple of days later a real pixxed off mother when we got home. I needed a shave ... she got tossed a bar of soap and 'River's that way.' Well not quite true. Pot of water heating up on the Colman stove for her bath.

In her teans and first 'Boy Friend.' Total chuck, second boy friend and 'Where are you finding these people? ' In her 40's now and still single. As is Son, as am I.

But my health care worker, ring on her finger, DANG but I'd be 'I'd like to cook her breakfast ..... '
mcnerney and smilingduck like this.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

I use the reel e good winder. I use the cordless drill kit on mine which makes switching lines a breeze. Spool slippage really hasn't been much of an issue for me. I use a c-clamp to keep my winder in place. Next I plan on buying the line counter for it.
mcnerney and ts47 like this.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 PM

ts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to beholdts47 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I use the reel e good winder. I use the cordless drill kit on mine which makes switching lines a breeze. Spool slippage really hasn't been much of an issue for me. I use a c-clamp to keep my winder in place. Next I plan on buying the line counter for it.
The line counter works well and reliably. Just tighten or even loctite the nuts that hold the counter in place
mcnerney and itchmesir like this.

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A guy in my club make these for raffle prizes

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:48 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Another Anglers Image user here, that and a line binder / brief for storage of in use lines takes care of most my needs.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm generally a fairly advanced technology kind of guy and I switch lines on reels with some regularity. Still, I own no device. All my reels' backing terminate in a large Bimini Loop to interface with a loop, either a matching Bimini on a hank of #30 Albrighted to the rear of the line or a nail knot reinforced factory welded loop on new lines. To remove line from a reel I mount it on the butt half of a rod with a fighting butt, string the leader through the stripping guide, lay the rod half with reel's drag set to very light but not zero, pinch the tippet between the two halves of a standard plastic line spool and with a pen or pencil thrust trough the center hole and another inserted in the off-set rim hole, I crank that line off in a New York minuet. In reverse, I insert the plastic spool on a pencil I have discreetly mounted in my living room, no one seems to notice it, run its rear loop through the striping guide on my half a 12-weight, loop it and the backing together, snug the reel on the reel seat, and, sitting about 10 feet away with the line running through my fingers encircling the tarpon rods fore grip, with slightly snug tension, level wind the line onto the reel. No tools other than a spool, my fingers and a pencil or two.

Now, I have two commercial size spools of Dacron backing, yellow #20 and orange #30 and last week cranked about 150 yds. onto a reel but this week I have seven reels to mount backing on for our PHWFF Program...I'm taking them into a fly shop with a high speed winder thank you very much. I like winding backing under some reasonably tight pressure to reduce water absorption if accidently dunked...but if you buy a new Orvis Hydros SL be aware that rather than fully recalling them, Orvis has advised their shops and franchises to wind backing on not too tight as the pressure will bow out the flimsy spool. Super light weight from a giant factory that could care less, oh my, but no doubt they have the most advanced Chinese built from stolen US patents computerized machine tools.

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Oh, by the way, if, like me you have a good number of lines stored on plastic spools, be sure to clearly label then with a Sharpie as to model, size and leader type along with a date and store them away from heat and light sources which are plastic lines enemy to longevity.

Especially flats fishing but trout trips too, our reels travel with a cadre of spare or alternate ready to rig lines which has over and over proven valuable.
Click the image to open in full size.
ts47 likes this.