The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM

truchas is on a distinguished road
Default Question on line

I recently bought my first fly rod, a 5wt TFO pro 9' rod for trout and bass. I am trying to select a WF floating fly line that would be good for the action of this rod.

I have read a lot about matching rod action and fly line. I am currently using a level line that came with my Pflueger reel. Although I can get the fly in the water, and some times, make good casts (~20 to 35'), I feel that do not have consistency and accuracy in my casts. Besides my mechanics being inconsistent, I feel that part of the problem is due to the line I am using.

I wonder if anyone could suggest some brand/model combinations that would be good to get me started. There are a several line manufacturers with literally dozens of line models available and I am a bit confused. Clearly, I would not like to pay for features that I would not appreciate of my fly fishing "career" ;-). Plus, I am already way!!!! over my budget... ;-) I got a spool of Cortland Fairplay Floating Rocket but I was told that the action of my rod is incompatible with this line... As you can see, I do not know much about the sport yet.

Thanks,

Truchas.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question on line

ANYTHING should be an improvement over that level line. The fairplay series is not the best by any means but you could do worse. I'd suggest a SA Headstart line and some casting instruction from the local club.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks for your advice, I also think that anything would be an improvement. I can shoot the line far sometimes but there is absolutely no control, and the loops (what loops?), are completely inconsistent. The line never flattens and so on. I will consider the Headstart and return the Fairplay.

Since the time I posted, someone told me that the Rio Gold would be exceptionally good for a ANYBODY!!, even a beginner and definitely would not be a waste of money. He said that it should also last twice as long so that at the end it would be cheaper, would you (guys) agree with this statement?
Or would you say that using such a good line would not make any difference in a beginner? He said that the Rio is suitable for most fishing situations too, would you agree with this?

There is a lot learning for me to do... ;-)

Thanks,

Truchas.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

The Rio Gold is a great line but it is $65...You are just starting out....I doubt at this point, if you would be able to tell the difference from the Rio to a good starter line like Cliff suggested - You can also get Cortland 333 or the less expensive Orvis lines for half the price and they are good starter lines as well. Learn with them...because you are going to be doing a lot of practicing on the lawn and will chew up a line. Ther is no sense in chewing up a $65 line.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the comment. Well, I headed to the local fly shop determined to buy either the SA Headstart or an equivalent line. They recommended the Rio Mainstream and indicated that this line is similar to the Corland 333 and the SA Headstart (I am not sure this is true or is that they only had the Mainstream). I was ready to buy the Rio Mainstream when the sales person realized that my line wasn't really level but rather a WF that had been tied backwards...(not by me though). I did not realize this myself.

He switched the line around for $10. I took it fishing and the casts improved about 5' or so . The line still jams in the guides. I was told that is due to memory, not sure I really know if it is the line or my mechanics... ;-). My line is fairly floppy unlike the Mainstream and a lot thicker as well. In any case, I think that I may still like a line that casts better but I will not throw the money on expensive line at this point. However, I found that the stores around have great prices on 2007 top of the line lines (no pun). They are actually cheaper than these beginner lines... Would you recommend buying one of these given that I would be paying less for them than for the Headstart or ou think that the Headstart is just the one that will particularly help a novice? What are your thoughts on the Airflo Ridge Presentation? They have several others at high discounts from Rio and Airflo...

Thanks,

Truchas.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 PM

Memory- is when the line forms tight loops from being on the spool...before you fish or dry cast on your lawn...strip the line out in 3 or 4 foot lengths and stretch the line...then reel the line back on the spool....this should help...by the way...you want to do this with your leaders as well
Old 04-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

WTEX is right about stretching the line as a way to reduce its tendencies to coil and such. If any straightened line is giving you trouble making it through the guides, it may be that your stripping guide is too small to feed line properly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:12 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i don't understand why the fairplay would be "incompatible" with the rod. often, it's just that a flyfisher is incompatible with casting. LOL sometimes a rod may be designed to be ultra fast so i can see that problem for some lines. but i haven't studied the specs for the fairplay.

if you want to expand your seach for low to medium priced lines, check out the rio classic, mainstream (as you already know), the lower orvis lines (as mentioned) and cortland's 333 but also the rio selective trout. they just introduced the selective trout II and the originals ( a premium $60+ line) can be found for about $35-$40 right now but the supply won't last long. also, hook and hackle offers their own line for $30 right now, usually around $35. it's made by a major manufacturer.

i've got a TFO 9' 5wt rod and it's not an extreme rod on the scale which would require something special from a line. like i alluded to at the beginning, practice casting if you don't currrently.

good advice for reducing coils. here's another... fish more often!

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 AM

If you can get a quality line for the same or less price than a lesser line...go for it....when you are practicing try to stay off concrete, stepping on the line etc...and find you a wide open section of lawn. One other thought on your existing line, and I am suprised the guy who switched the line didn't check this....but it may not be the correct line size for your rod. Someone mentioned last years RIO selective trout - I have this line and use it alot...however it is more suited for a medium or medium fast rod, I actually use it on my 8 1/2 Granger Bamboo...It is IMHO not a good line for fast rods. Fast rods would be better suited for the RIO Grand or Gold. Good Luck
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

my TFO professional 9' 5wt is, and has been considered by others, a medium fast action rod. it's not really a fast rod, unless you say it's faster than a much slower graphite, or a traditional glass or most bamboo. the discontinued premium rio selective trout line should work fine. it has for me. and rio stands by their products.

like wtex50 says, if you can get a premium $60 line for the same price as a midline/budget line, jump on it.

eric
fresno, ca.