The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 PM

yatesd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

Well...right or wrong I purchased some waders. I visited my local dealer this week and bought the Simms G3 Guide waders Simms Fishing Products : : G3 Guide Stockingfoots

and the Simms Headwater wading boots Simms Fishing Products : : Headwaters™ Wading Boot - AquaStealth®

I almost ordered the GQS from LL Bean for $249 but had concerns about them being "lightweight" warm weather waders and how someone mentioned concerns about cold feet due to the gortex booties. The "Wicked Tough" LL Bean waders would also be an option, but then the price is back up to $300 and didn't seem to have any standout endorsements other than LL Beans warranty.

I tried the Patagonias on at my local dealer. However, as expected the feet were too small. Comparing the Patagonia's side by side to the Simms G3, it seemed like the Simms was made better (stronger material, feet fit better, pocket in front, etc.).

Ironically, when I was in the shop trying on the waders there was an Alaskan Bear hunting guide dropping off his older Simms G3 to get repaired and he had raved about how good the waders were.

In the end, the only wader that seemed to be comparable in materials and design was the Orvis Pro Guide 3's. Unfortunately my dealer had these on backorder and Orvis direct wasn't anticipating stock until May. Well, my big fishing trip is in May and I want to play with the waders before then.

Another thing that pushed me towards the Simms, is they seemed to be the only vendor offering the latest Goretex materials (LL Bean was vague in their description).GORE-TEX® PRO SHELL - GORE-TEX® Products

Finally, although I won't pay much more just because it is American made, I do like the idea that I am buying a competitive product while not giving my money to China. Unfortunately the only reason Orvis and Patagonia tend to replace defective goods is because they don't make them and it would be impractical to send them back to China for repair.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi yatesd,

I think you did a good job evaluating the different waders and made a very good choice. You will like the Simms. They are a good company and have been leaders in breathable waders.

Frank
Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

yatesd,
Glad you got em, I think you will wear them for years. They do wear like iron, but you still need to be reasonably careful with how you treat them, make sure and dry them properly when your not fishing.

I really like Simms waders, but on the other hand, I've had terrible luck with their boots(3 pairs)and won't buy them anymore.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."