The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM

yatesd is on a distinguished road
Default Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy stocking foot chest waders. I need a large size with a size 12 bootie. This seems to be a rare combination on the budget wader options (not available on less expensive Orvis or Simms versions).

Based on this information, it appears my main choices are the $399 Simms G3 Guide or the $349 Orvis Pro Guide 3. My local dealer will give me a 5% discount.

I was hoping to find a closeout version of last year's models, but I can't find anything in my size. The Cabela's $239 model is technically rated for a 9-12 foot, but from reading reviews fits tight and will probably not work.

So....what do you recommend?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Simms G3 Guide or Orvis Pro Guide 3 Waders?

One other comment. Both the Orvis and Simms appear to be new for 2008 and I would like to know if anyone owns these new versions?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

--
Doug
Old 04-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Well I don't know about anybody else but I've gone through enough pairs of waders in my fly fishing career both high and low priced. There is no way anybody could get close to $400.00 dollars out of me for a pair of waders. I have trouble wrapping my head around a pair half that price. Probably just me.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM

I found another alternative for a size 12 foot in a large. What about the Orvis Tailwaters XT Bootfoot?

My local dealer has a sale on these, so I could pick these up for about $300. One advantage....this price includes the boots.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

yatesd,
I can only offer an opinion on 'Simms' waders. I've got a pair of 'Guide weights' that are almost 10 yrs old and they have served me well, and are still being used.
I have to admit that when they get wore out, I'm not sure I'll fork out the $650.00 to replace them. They did run me like $350.00 when I bought them though. If I knew they would wear like iron as these have, who knows?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-14-2008, 05:59 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i've sent you a private message.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 AM

Default Other Wader Options with size 12 foot in Large

Thanks for all your feedback. I never thought choosing waders would be such a difficult decision. I'll probably get something this week.

Anyway, here is an update:

I called my local flyshop on Friday (sells Orvis, Simms, and Patagonia). They said even though the Patagonias are labeled 9-11 in large that they should accomodate a size 12 foot. Evidently these are on sale at Ramsey Outdoor and I might check them out since I will be in NJ later today.

I also stumbled across a GQS wader at LLBean that retails for $249 and is available with a size 12 foot in large. I actually called LLBean last night and the guy was very helpful. He said it was probably the best wader they made, but wasn't as nice as the Simms (I expected this for the $150 price difference). Does anyone have any experience with this wader?

I will also be looking at Dan Baileys.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

yatesd;

Check out this thread, http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...gh-s-4419.html Frank posted some comments on the GQS waders.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
yatesd;

Check out this thread, http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...gh-s-4419.html Frank posted some comments on the GQS waders.

Davo,

What waders did you end up getting? Did you try the GQS LL Beans?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesd View Post
Davo,

What waders did you end up getting? Did you try the GQS LL Beans?
I have not order any yet. I did a major aquaseal patch job on my old Cabelas Dry plus waist highs. See if I can make another season. If I did not get all the leaks or I create new ones here in the pre runoff fishing then I will order a pair of the GQS and check them out. If I do end up ordering a pair I'll let you know. If you check them out first I'd like to hear your thoughts and impression.