The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 03:25 PM

mnshutterbug is on a distinguished road
Default rigid mini pontoon

Does anyone hear have one of these mini pontoons like Cabelas sells? The pontoons are solid so no inflating needed. They'll fit into the back of a full sized pickup fully assembled. Since I just sold my canoe, I'm thinking about one of these or a kayak for my next purchase. I'm just not sure which way to go, if either. It would be for small lakes or large ponds. Pros or cons of either?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:50 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rigid mini pontoon

i assume you are talking about the two models from venture outdoors? i have not used these, but i have fished out of a one similar to the smaller model. i would recommend a pontoon over a kayak for fishing simply because it's hard to fish while paddling. the larger pontoon has oars but you can also use fins to kick it around. i usually fish out of a float tube and found the only drawback to the solid pontoon was the higher profile. it required more effort to maintain position and fin back to the beach. one advantage of the higher seat was less exposure to the near freezing water. milt. ever had a tony's pizza?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 PM

mnshutterbug is on a distinguished road

Yep Milt, that's the one. My buddy was thinking about getting one and putting a trolling motor on it.

I've gone thru a few Tony's pizzas in my days.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:46 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

i'm originally from nw iowa, straight south of you. i've also been eyeing those pontoons. they also make an inflatable pontoon, but cabela's doesn't carry it. i saw it on the v.o. website. it would probably be easier to mount a trolling motor on the larger model... plus the extra weight of the battery. the problem out here is the powers that be will classify me as a motorized craft and require registration and fees. $$$. i remember seeing one of these pontoons on fatwallet.com. milt.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Joni and I've had the Venture Outdoors Echo which was the inflatable version. Great little boat. Sold them this spring. It's a small but good company.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM

i also saw a version somewhere that looked like it was made of that pool toy material, probably an older model. like a semi-rigid toon.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:03 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

Im not trying to be contrary here but those toons look to be poorly assembled... especially the 5 foot model... looks like it has big plastic twist "screws" on the sides to hold thing together... not sure how safe that would be...

VO pontoons

and tbh that is surprising .. Ive seen detailed picutres of the echo that mojo and fg sold and it was an awesome looking rig...

for the money you could get a hobie float cat 60 or 75 (6' or 7.5') ... Ive seen the six foot model and it is rock solid.. and the guy who owned was all over the place in that rig... lightweight.. fits in the truck bed.. no need to inflate or deflate the toons... etc...

MacFly