The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Rudolf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wading Boots/Shoes

I also have the Chota boots for some four years now, they are great! Putting them on is a breeze. No problems with the laces or the eyelets. I don't do 100+ days, but where I fish is a lot of rocks and I don't see any damage. The studs, however, must be replaced soon.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 AM

bmorejoe is on a distinguished road

Frank,
I suppose the elastic laces and nylon eyelets could wear out at some point but hasn't been an issue for me after 3 years with the boots. If I were to guess, the elasticity of the laces would be a problem earlier, but by then all the benefits of the boot (comfort, speed, traction, etc) would have been realized. Good luck with the decision.
Joe
Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Well the Chota's bit the dust. I caught the heel under a rock & the whole sole came off. There is a metal instep in them & that was rusted & the material around it was deterioated. I called Chota & they said no warrenty, so I'm done with them. I picked up a pair of LL Bean's studded aquastealth boots & will give a report when I try them out. I'm starting to get more & more fishing stuff from LL Bean because of their warranty. & I pass the Freeport store a few times a year on the way to GLS.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I got these for a decent price of $29.99. Good boot.

Allen Big Horn with Felt sole
Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

With all the microbes etc that you can move from watershed to watershed, I wanted to avoid felt if I could. I finally found these in size 14 which is actually 1 size larger than my shoe size but they fit OK. I also am a firm believer in studs as they've saved my butt a few times.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

You can get the studded version for $10 more.

Allen Big Horn with Studded soles
Old 10-01-2008, 11:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair of Korkers Konvertibles, which feature interchangeable soles that (if you are more flexible than I am) can actually be changed while the boot is left on. Frankly, the ability to change soles from, say, a lug sole for lengthy walking on trails to get away from the crowd, then changing the sole to a studded felt or Acquastealth (or whatever you prefer of their several other soles) when you get to the water means I'd never think about another brand of wading shoe. Used to get tired of having to replace the entire boot when the felt wore out, or having to cobble up some way to replace the felt myself. Korkers makes several models of their interchangeable-sole wading boots, ranging from around $80 to double that.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Go with a studded rubber sole if you can find one in your price range. If they run a little more save some more money because they are worth it. They will not cake up with snow on ya like felts and the studs will hold you fast even in the upper Penobscot. I don't know where you are at exactly but if it snows and the rocks are slick as grease get rubber and studs! Check with L.L.Bean online they have them I think.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fishn50,

Is this the Bean boot you got?

Bean Ultralight II Wading Boots with Aqua Stealth and studs.

I read your post about the Chota STL Plus boots. It seemed that you really liked then and used them a lot. How old were they when the sole failed? I assume they were out of warranty?

Frank
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Frank,

If you are interested in a good lasting boot where the lace system (meaning eyelets and laces will fail) look into Korkers. They make a specific wading boot called Korkers - Guide Wading Boot It uses a steel lacing system. It would probably last longer than most lacing systems as long as you would not use it in saltwater. I actually own a pair of korkers wading sandals. I love the interchangeable soles. One week I could be in the boundary waters canoeing and portaging with rubber sole sandals. The next week I could be in the streams of Wisconsin with a felt sole going after smallies and muskies. The following week I could be in the Bahamas sailing on a boat with friends, with non skid boat shoe soles. Korkers really make versatile wading shoes.