The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Anyone use a Creel/Bag?

Does anyone here use a shoulder bag or creel to hold all of their streamside gear? Two of the guys that I was fishing with last week did. I didn't ask them why. Wish that I had.
There seem to be some drawbacks to a vest (mines heavy; hot; never reach for the right pocket). Can't relate to a lanyard or chest-pack since I've never used them. Just seems that I would would struggle with a lanyard; bending over; weight around neck all day; but I'm not sure.
My question for those that use a bag/creel. What kind/size is best? Where do you get them?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone use a Creel/Bag?

I keep my river smallmouth gear in a shoulderbag
When I fish for smallies I don't carry much and it's usually hot so a vest would be overkill
I use a army surplus gasmask bag like this one. I paid 50 cents for it years ago.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sling packs are being used more. They could be used as a shoulder bag or a lumbar pack. Here is a Simms Headwaters Sling Pack. Other companies have their own versions. Many use the creel shape, but they are comparmentalized to hold tackle instead of fish.

Years ago, I used the Mountainsmith Day Pack lumbar pack in sling style for fishing. It worked well when I needed to carry a lot of stuff, but it was too big for most of my outings.

MP
Old 08-19-2010, 02:42 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Does anyone here use a shoulder bag or creel to hold all of their streamside gear?
I'm pretty sure that's called a man-purse.

But seriously, the only time I wear my vest is if I'm going to be wading. If I'm only going to be casting from the bank or wet wading(knee deep or less) I just use an old bookbag. It has more room in it than I'll ever need and it helps keep the weigh in the center of my body so that if I am wading, I don't have the weight throwing off my balance.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 08-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jimmie,

There was a day when I could have stocked a small store with all that I carried in a Stream Designs Classic vest. I have used about every method to carry tackle and accessories and never found one that didn't end up overloaded. Now it is the pockets in my fishing jacket with only what I need to be able to catch fish. This is why there are so few pictures anymore. I hope you come up with a system that works for you and I figure you'll end up like me.

Basics,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I use a small chestpack and when I am not wading, I just switch straps and put the long strap on the top and then I can wear the small pack on my back with the strap cross-shoulder - basically a small creel bag. One small bag handles most types of fishing and I do not have to switch stuff back and forth between vests, packs or bags. Like Ard and some others, I find I am carrying less stuff as the years go by, and only a couple of smaller flyboxes.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 PM

patyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

MP
I went from using a vest all my life to this pack last year. I absolutely love it over my vest. I like the ease of taking it on and off and having almost everything right there in front of me instead of having 15 different pockets. I put the sling over my shoulder and then the waist band around me and when I fish I just swing the bag around to my back. This way I have my entire front and arms free for casting and rod control.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Really appreciate the responses guys. I think that I'm going with the Simms sling bag. This system just makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

Orvis makes a Sling Bag also. But my favorite is the Orvis Safe Passage Chest Pack. What ever you get make sure it has a D ring on the neck strap to fasten a net to.

Frank

Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack

Simms Headwaters Sling Bag

The Orvis Safe Passage Chest Pack
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Hi FranK

Thank You. The timing was perfect. I'm a little fickle. Above I said that I was going with the Simms bag. I got online to look at the ones that you posted. The Orvis Sling Bag is on sale 39.95. The shop that I talked with said that the sling style has been flying off the shelves all season. Got one coming. It does have a "D"-ring on the strap. Thanks again for the heads-up on that.