The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Strike Indicator

Hi-

I've been using the Orvis twist on foam strike indicators and so far I think they are so-so in terms of staying buoyant. Anyone use something else that they've had luck with; easy to see, stays buoyant, etc...

Thanks!
Sesro1978

P.S. If my indicator continually slides beneath the surface does this mean I have it set too near the nymph and it needs to be higher on the leader...this does not refer to the quick duck -under of a fish on the fly but the consistent, under the surface type.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Strike Indicator

Hi sesro1978,

We need a little more information. Are you fishing fast water or still water? How far is you indicator from the fly? How long is the leader? How deep is the water?

Your indicator may be too small. Is this the indicator you are using? Are you using the small or large size?

Frank

Orvis Twist-on Indicators
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi sesro1978,

We need a little more information. Are you fishing fast water or still water? How far is you indicator from the fly? How long is the leader? How deep is the water?

Your indicator may be too small. Is this the indicator you are using? Are you using the small or large size?

Frank

Orvis Twist-on Indicators
Click the image to open in full size.
Hi Frank-

I'm fishing in relatively fast water (spring run-off in the northeast). My indicator varies in distance from the fly but is usually 2'-4'. My leader is 9.5 feet and the water varies in depth from around 2' - 5'...

Yep, that's the one or one that looks like it. Currently I *think* I'm using the large size indicator...

Thanks,
Seth
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Seth,

Here are some things to think about. That style of indicator uses rubber to hold it in place. The indicator has to support the rubber insert so you lose some flotation there. I would make sure you have the large size. You may have to go to a different type of indicator.

Fast water is always a challenge. If it is fast and broken then your indicator may get washed under some of the time. I think your indicator is way to close to your fly. In most cases the purpose of the indicator is to alert you to a strike not to suspend the flies. If you are trying to suspend the fly in fast, broken water, you will need a much bigger indicator. For regular indicator fishing I would move it back to 7.5 feet or so. Or use a 7.5 leader and put it just ahead of the fly line a few inches. (6 inches)

Frank
Old 04-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Seth,

Here are some things to think about. That style of indicator uses rubber to hold it in place. The indicator has to support the rubber insert so you lose some flotation there. I would make sure you have the large size. You may have to go to a different type of indicator.

Fast water is always a challenge. If it is fast and broken then your indicator may get washed under some of the time. I think your indicator is way to close to your fly. In most cases the purpose of the indicator is to alert you to a strike not to suspend the flies. If you are trying to suspend the fly in fast, broken water, you will need a much bigger indicator. For regular indicator fishing I would move it back to 7.5 feet or so. Or use a 7.5 leader and put it just ahead of the fly line a few inches. (6 inches)

Frank
Hi Frank-

Good info. Thanks a ton! I'll give it a shot later tonight. I haven't been nymph fishing in abut 3 years so it's slowly coming back to me. I do recall that I loved doing it and almost preferred it to dry-fly fishing...

What do you think of yarn indicators?

~Seth
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Seth,
Yarn indicators are my choice when nymph fishing, I think they are a little more sensative to strikes than foam. Some have trouble with them, and believe they are wind resistant, but I don't have any problems with them.

Another thing that Frank does is to soak his yarn indicators in 'Hydrostop', do this and it will float like a cork.
You can take a wad of yarn and soak it in 'Hydrostop', and then use what you need for bigger/smaller indicators, dependant on how much weight your using and type of water.

Yarn indicators can be made in many different colors, I like to use Tans, greens, and blues, and personally avoid the bright colors. Under low light conditions I will often switch to a black color, black does not reflect light and you would be surprised at how well you can see one at dusk.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Hi Seth,
Yarn indicators are my choice when nymph fishing, I think they are a little more sensative to strikes than foam. Some have trouble with them, and believe they are wind resistant, but I don't have any problems with them.

Another thing that Frank does is to soak his yarn indicators in 'Hydrostop', do this and it will float like a cork.
You can take a wad of yarn and soak it in 'Hydrostop', and then use what you need for bigger/smaller indicators, dependant on how much weight your using and type of water.

Yarn indicators can be made in many different colors, I like to use Tans, greens, and blues, and personally avoid the bright colors. Under low light conditions I will often switch to a black color, black does not reflect light and you would be surprised at how well you can see one at dusk.
More good info! Thanks!

How do you make your yarn indicators? I've seen them pre-made in stores...

~Seth
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I will cut a piece of yarn about 3" long, fold it in half and cut again, find the spot on the leader where I want it to be and use a cinch loop(that's what I call it)to attach it.
Attaching it is something that is easier to show in person, it's not difficult but takes some learning. I will go look for an illustration for doing this and post it later if I can, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank can post one likity splitt when he reads this.
Sorry...that I can't help you any further right now, I will be back.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I will cut a piece of yarn about 3" long, fold it in half and cut again, find the spot on the leader where I want it to be and use a cinch loop(that's what I call it)to attach it.
Attaching it is something that is easier to show in person, it's not difficult but takes some learning. I will go look for an illustration for doing this and post it later if I can, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank can post one likity splitt when he reads this.
Sorry...that I can't help you any further right now, I will be back.
Hi-

I really appreciate the help you have given thus far :-)

~Seth
Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

PopTops work nicely as do FloatMaster Indicators, I use them when Steelhead fishing.

Dan