The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM

wlb06 is on a distinguished road
Default Thermometer

Hi,

Can someone recommend a good water thermometer that i can carry in my vest.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thermometer

I have this one

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c..._-83094&bhcp=1

It works great but requires some reading before hand. I do keep a journal and temp is a big part of that, so this one works great for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Any of the alcohol thermometer in metal tube type fishing thermometers will fit in a vest, work well, cost about 50% of the digital thermometer, are about 25-50% of the size (bulk) of a digital thermometer, and have the added advantage that the batteries will never been "dead" when you want a water measurement.

On the other hand, the typical digital fishing thermometer will give you better accuracy and precision (0.1 °F is common) than the typical alcohol thermometer, and generally respond more rapidly.

Examples:

Stream Fly Fishing Thermometer - Terminal Tackle & Access - Fly Fishing

William Joseph Digital Thermometer
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I use one of the alcohol thermometer in metal tube type. I bought it a couple of years before I moved to Jackson Hole so it is about 16-17yrs old and still works great. I pulled it out of my vest to check it but can not find any markings or logos on it. I know it did not cost much and that you can find them in just about any fly shop. It is not much bigger than a ball point pen and fit easily in your vest. Even has a pocket clip just like a pen.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Was just thumbing through a LL Bean catalog and saw the exact thermometer I have. It cost $9.95. They also have the William Joseph infra red for $39.95.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures