The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Line Help

Hi-

I'm looking for a new WF-5-F line for my Sage FLi fly rod. Currently I have an Orvis line but have noticed that it has quite a high memory so I'm looking for something that will match well with the rod and is fairly supple off the reel. I've been looking into Rio fly lines and am impressed with what I've read (casting would be better but I can't go buy every line I want to try out and test-cast it and then return it...). Anyone try out their Nymph Taper line? Is it specifically for nymph fishing or is it usable with dries as well (do a fair amount of both buy nymphs seem to eat up a large chunk of any day spent on stream)?

Forgot to mention I fish mainly eastern freestone streams where I don't need to cover huge casting distances...between 3 and 20 feet usually...

Thanks for any input!

~Seth
Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Line Help

Hi Seth,

I have not used the RIO Nymph line but it may be the next fly line I buy. I don't think you will like it as a dry fly line. The forward taper is very short and there is a lot of weight forward. I think it would be hard to get the soft landing that you want when dry fly fishing. If you want a combination line I think the RIO Gold would be a better choice.

Frank

RIO Nymph
Click the image to open in full size.

RIO Gold
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Seth,

I have not used the RIO Nymph line but it may be the next fly line I buy. I don't think you will like it as a dry fly line. The forward taper is very short and there is a lot of weight forward. I think it would be hard to get the soft landing that you want when dry fly fishing. If you want a combination line I think the RIO Gold would be a better choice.

Frank

RIO Nymph

RIO Gold
Hi-

I got some of RIO's Nymph line; I really like it so far! It does what it claims to do and does it well. Very supple, little memory, and great for roll casting which is key in the northeast.

That said I haven't tried to fish it with dries at this point but I'll let ya'll know how that goes when I give it a go.

~Seth