The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading shoe report and question..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
fred, Orvis and Simms both make boots with a lug as you had described them and you add the studs to them if you want--which I'd certainly recommend for rubber soles.

My Simms have the small carbide studs and they are still going strong after about 2 1/2 seasons.
No joy finding the above on the web, mind putting up a link?

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
My simms G2's have a thick bottom. I have 16, 1/2" long hex head sheet metal screws in each boot. They wear out after awhile so I just change them. NONE of them have come out.
Different set of Simms, but that's just what I did, save for I used aluminum sheet metals. The softer material will ware faster, but give a far better grip. At 5 or 6 cents each sure beats the $30.00 Simms wants for their product.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Check bass pros web site.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

fred,

Ok so after closer inspection the Orivs "lugs" might not be exactly what you were envisioning, but here they are"

Men's Fishing Boots / River Guard™ Ultralight Wading Boot with EcoTraX Soles -- Orvis

The Simms "lugs" may be a little closer to what you were hoping for. This is the same model I use but with the newer sole. Mine are aqua stealth with studs built in. I love these boots and will likely get the same ones when my current pair wears out. I prefer to have stability for most of my fishing, which these boots offer a great amount of. Between the terrain I fish and having my knee scoped a few years back I'm just more comfortable knowing I have good solid boots.

Simms Fishing Products : : Rivershed? Boot - StreamTread?

Chota makes boots that may be closer to what you were hoping for when you had mentioned lugs.

Chota | RockLoc | rockLock | rubber soled | wading boots | Didymo boots | Didymo

I had a felt version of these years ago and wasn't crazy about them. Felt wore down quickly as did the upper of the boot. They were also VERY heavy when wet, likely due to the materials used in the upper. I have heard that new versions have been improved and believe the materials have moved to synthetic as opposed to the leather mine had. The one thing I really liked about them was that they were VERY comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Jaybo
Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

i bought a pair of Chota Rocky River wading boots with the roc-loc soles. they have removable steel studs and offer decent traction for the money. i paid $70. however, the toes are already showing signs of wear, they have no cap and are made of nubuck. i had a pair of Bite Steelhead RB's with aluminum Ouzel cleats, but the uppers finally gave out after 5 years. aluminum gives far, far better grip, but wears much faster. if i could find the Bite shoes again i would buy two pair. i believe they still make golf shoes, but not wading boots. milt.