The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Rod Rack: On The Move With Rods;

There have been more than one thread where the question of how do you transport rods while moving from one spot on a road system to another was the topic. Fishen50 just had one up today and rather than have this buried in the thread I took some pictures and am starting a thread so the rack will be seen.

This was purchased at the Slate Run Orvis Shop in 1993. I have been using it ever since. When I fished the Salmon River, Big Sandy, and many other NY. and PA. tributary flows to the Great Lakes this thing was priceless. I have trusted it with everything from my lightest bamboo rods to the heaviest salmon sticks I carry. Of course it is not meant for speeds over 45 or 50 mph and you can't go bush whacking trails with your gear on the hood but for moving a couple miles up or down the river or creek this is the hot set up.

Another real handy aspect was that we could get all rigged at our lodge and get in line at the Dougleston Salmon Run on the Salmon River at 5:30 AM. and beat most anglers to the river because we were rigged. This is how I managed to fish the same spot year after year until I moved away from the area, I got there first.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[Below] The towers are tall enough to keep even huge salmon reels from hitting the painted finish on the hood. The butt of the rods are held securely by those little bungee cords.

The tips are held the same way, if I were carrying the little flea rod I would move the hood rack back toward the wind shield to shorten the span. This set of pictures was made to demonstrate the rack not for transport.

This will not help you store rods between trips but something on this order will give you great versatility when you wish to move around a given area. You gotta love that yellow truck huh? I don't loose that one in the grocery store parking lot, but you would be surprised at how many yellow trucks there are here

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod Rack: On The Move With Rods;

Slick setup! Are those magnetic?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Rack: On The Move With Rods;

Hi Vance,

Yes

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;