The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default what size wading shoe for me?

I wear size 11 street shoes and was looking at some simms rivershed wading shoes, and don't know how their sizes run, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what size would be best to order, 11 or 12? And should my toes be touching the end of the shoe when I put them on with waders? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: what size wading shoe for me?

Welcome to the forum,

This is something you will be best to go to a shop and try on (take the waders) I don't want my toes touching the end of my shoe. You'll need to try them on.

Questions always welcome here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kfisher99,

Ard is right about trying them on first. Buying wadding shoes by mail can be a problem. Go to a store with your waders and the heaviest socks you might wear. If the wading boot is too small your feet will be cold.

In years past you use to be able to make a tracing of your foot with the sock on and send it in with your order. The vendor would make sure you got the right size boot. I have bought a bunch of boots using the foot tracing and most of the time it works. I don't know of any dealer that does that anymore.

Frank
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good answers above; boots are a 'try before you buy' thing. One other thing to consider is the size/width of the last used when they make the boot.

Most tend to be narrow (never could figure out the 'why' of that .... your feet in a few hours = ) so keep in mind that you need 'wiggle room' not only in front of your toes, but on the sides of your feet too.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input, I ended up getting the size 12 boots even though the they seem a tad too large, but the 11 are too small, they make my toes bend down a little bit heh. I Wish they made half sizes, but I shouldn't be too dissapointed, I guess it's better to have more room than less room.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisher99 View Post
Thanks for the input, I ended up getting the size 12 boots even though the they seem a tad too large, but the 11 are too small, they make my toes bend down a little bit heh. I Wish they made half sizes, but I shouldn't be too dissapointed, I guess it's better to have more room than less room.
Keep in mind that you can always wear an extra pair of socks. In fact, I routinely use a thin pair of socks to "wick away" moisture to the thicker pair. Also, when buying wading boots, a tip I learned from my competitive tennis days was to try on athletic footware for size late in the day, as your foot tends to swell as the day goes on.

I have learned from hard experience that it is better to have wading shoes that are too large rather than too small (as Ard says, if your toes touch the end of the boots, they are certainly too small). Like Fred, I don't understand why wading boots tend to have narrow lasts, because you've got to have room in the width or your feet will cramp under the cold water conditions they will be in.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how (or even 'if') this is true anymore but some years back I had a long chat with a sales rep. You'd know the brands name as their 'stuff' is some of the most expensive sold to us fisher-folk. Then and now.

There are (general statement) two type of 'lasts' used for shoes (including wading boots): The 'European' and 'Military.' The first has its problems (for a lot of folks) as 'they' tend to have narrow feet so a wide shoe is not all that necessary. With the second .. these guys/gals are on there feet a lot, and as F2F notes in his post above, feet flatten out/swell after a several hours of hard work. Ergo, 'type 1' is a lousy choice for makers of our type of equipment; that said, they do anyway.

The 'second group' knows better?

fae
Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Don't know how (or even 'if') this is true anymore but some years back I had a long chat with a sales rep. You'd know the brands name as their 'stuff' is some of the most expensive sold to us fisher-folk. Then and now.

There are (general statement) two type of 'lasts' used for shoes (including wading boots): The 'European' and 'Military.' The first has its problems (for a lot of folks) as 'they' tend to have narrow feet so a wide shoe is not all that necessary. With the second .. these guys/gals are on there feet a lot, and as F2F notes in his post above, feet flatten out/swell after a several hours of hard work. Ergo, 'type 1' is a lousy choice for makers of our type of equipment; that said, they do anyway.

The 'second group' knows better?

fae
Now if we only could figure out which brands were in Group 1 and Group 2 ahead of time . . .