The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Wading Shoe Studs

I just bought a pair of new wading boots from my local sporting goods store. They are Henry's Fork II Premium Wading Shoe but they only had the normal felt sole, not the ones with the studs. I bought them any way because for $14.99 how could I not.

I'm planning a trip soon and really need studded felt soles, what can I do? I don't mind going out and buying another pair of boots that I can use for this but I figured it worth asking if there are any studs I can screw in to the bottom that are meant for boots with just the felt.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wading Shoe Studs

Simms makes studs that screw into felt soles. They look like nothing more than screws you'd find at a local hardware store.

Simms Fishing Products : : HardBite Boot Studs - Felt Soles

I believe some places have outlawed felt soles due to the transfer of invasive species as well. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to buy another pair of boots.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:02 PM

So those can be installed in a felt sole that has no holes for studs? You just make your own holes...correct?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Have to stand up here and say 'skip the Simm's.' Expensive as all hell, no better than the worst .. but 4 times the price. (And a huge waste of $$.)

Google studded wading boots (anyones), take a sheet of paper and draw in where 'they' put in studs. Then hit ACE hardware (or any big box store) and get a couple dozen sheet metal screws. I prefer Aluminum, though they may be softer metal the 'grip' is far better than the steel ones. Soooo, you're in about 5-6 cents each .. just take a 1/4" ratchet driver and just follow the pattern.

Joy, and your cost? Couple of bucks and a half hours 'work.'

fae
Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM

I was wondering about that. I found a guy on ebay seller cheaper versions and I think they are just sheet metal screws. I'll do that. For the one or two times a year I'll use them I think they will be ok

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good Answer. Just drive to your local ACE hardware/Big Box and buy a hand full of the things. Why would anyone want to drop two bucks and pay twelve bucks in "shipping charges?"

fae
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I had some sheet metal screws in a pair of old felts and they will wear down faster than the carbide screws found in most boots that come studded. Also I think the Simms studs are some sort of carbide. I have heard of guys getting screws that can be used for motocross motorcycles and using them with better success than sheet metal screws. No clue as to the price. Mine are built in.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Like Fred says, forget about paying big money for studs...Go to your local hardware and get yourself some sheet metal screws; if you don't like the aluminum go with steel, you'll be able to replace them quite a few times for what you would pay for the Simms studs...

Dan
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I might have to try those aluminum screws next time I replace mine.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Wading Shoe Studs

When you all put in your own carbide, steel or aluminum studs/screws, do you always screw them into the same place, and if so, do replacements hold equally well or do the improvised holes "strip"?