The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 11:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tungsten Putty

For about two years, I have been experimenting with tungsten putty to be used as external weight on my nymph rigs. My issue with split shot was that it created weak spots on my leaders.

The one that I like the best is AirFlo's DiDo. It is available in three densities (DiDo 1, DiDo 2, DiDo 3). DiDo 3 is the heaviest. I use DiDo 3 since it is easier to use less rather than to pack more on. Like other tungsten putties, it is reusable and environmentally safe.

What I found is that it is easy to apply. Just pinch and roll it between your fingers onto the leader material. I could roll a thin layer of putty on my leader which makes it hydrodyamically efficient compared to a round blob.

Best of all, it holds its shape. The putty hardens when it is cooled by water. Some putties shrink when it cools in the water.

I will admit that it isn't perfect. Snags can pull it off (which can be good in some cases). When applying it, I found myself trying to guess how much I needed. Whereas with split shot, I have a pretty good idea how much to use. And like split shot and other putties, it can be knocked off when repeated overhead casting.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:53 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Tungsten Putty

Thanks MP Ill have to check that out.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

MP: I like the concept, the issue I have had in the past with moldable putty is keeping it on the line, after a dozen casts I find that I need to reapply. Are you finding the same issue or maybe I'm not applying it correctly.
I'll get some AirFlo's DiDo and give it a try.

Larry
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Mosca, is on it. I use the stuff a lot. You think you are getting a drift, then add putty, and catch fish. I mostly water load, and roll cast, but if you overhead cast it can fly off.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

That putty is nice but can fly off when making longer casts. I use split shot too.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

As mosca suggested....
when you get back a leader with only split shot left on it, you are the victim of bruising.
Walter will find the weakest link in your system. When it's game on with him, I don't want my leader pre-weakened. Just don't throw tight loops, putty won't cling with the extra G force. I do a clinic with a few clients. I install shot, then take it off, they can see a cloudiness in the Nylon. Then I do a break test, snaps every time right at the cloudy spot.
Good habits, lead to good fish.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I tried the putty sold by Orvis several years ago and didn't like it. Once I put it on I could not move it or take it off with out some hassle.

I use a lot of split shot with nymph fishing for Trout and don't have a problem with weakening the tippet. I tie my tippet on using a loop to loop connection. The split shot goes on the loop of the tippet above the knot. The knot keeps the shot from sliding down the tippet so you don't have to crimp it as tightly. I use pliers to crimp the split shot gap closed but the back side of the split is not as tight. You can adjust the distance from the shot to the fly by the length of the tippet.

It may not be the best method but it works for me.

Frank
Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Like Big, I waterload and rollcast and seldom overhead cast when nymphing. The putty stays put. Those casts keep an open loop. They are more or less lob-style casts. The putty is pliable enough to return to its shape. But it won't do it in those high-G tight line loops that Big mentioned.

I also tried the Orvis putty that Frank mentioned, Rio's version, and a few others. I was not pleased with the Orvis putty for the reasons that Frank mentioned. The Rio putty stuck on the leader well, but I couldn't pinch it on as skinny as I wanted to. Rio decided to discontinue its product.

MP
Old 09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Like Big, I waterload and rollcast and seldom overhead cast when nymphing. The putty stays put. Those casts keep an open loop. They are more or less lob-style casts. The putty is pliable enough to return to its shape. But it won't do it in those high-G tight line loops that Big mentioned.

I also tried the Orvis putty that Frank mentioned, Rio's version, and a few others. I was not pleased with the Orvis putty for the reasons that Frank mentioned. The Rio putty stuck on the leader well, but I couldn't pinch it on as skinny as I wanted to. Rio decided to discontinue its product.

MP
MP: Are you using Di-Do1, Di-Do2 or Di-Do3?

Larry
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM

I use DiDo 3.

MP