The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to make your own fly boxes ... on the cheap?

If even that expensive?

Mini-'Clave here on the Rogue this Saturday and one of the neat things was 'home made Tin fly boxes.' These are (roughly) 5.5" x 4" (the web site has the exact dimensions) in size. What makes these things unique is they have a clear plastic lid.

Hit the Auto Parts store and get a sheet of head gasket material, cut to size, glue on to the inside bottom and you're good to go. Cost? $1.05 each, plus shipping. Loaded with flies these were totally cool!
(close up the space between http and :

Hinged Tin Containers - Specialty Bottle
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want to make your own fly boxes ... on the cheap?

Good idea, but I'd expect rust to become an issue pretty quickly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

What about using plastic soap dishes?

Randy
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I've used an old plastic VHS case that I glued some foam into to make a fly box. It's a bit bulky to take to the waters but I use it to keep a lot of "spare" flies in.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 PM

bowser clouser is on a distinguished road

What I do is take the old truck zippered pouch thing that is black and has a ford symbol on it(kept in the glove box), gut the left side and leave the rights side for leaders if you want, there little sleeves so do what you will. I usually just cut some foam sheet and glue to the booklet. Basic cheap fly book with a zipper.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet you can keep the rust off with just a bit of care, after all we would hopefully not be swimming with those tin boxes. I like them.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:52 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I have used Altoids boxes and snuff cans before. I still keep a couple of crawdad flies in a snuff can.
Works fine, too, for just carrying a few flies down to the beaver pond and catch some breakfast. I wasted a good early deer hunt doing that instead of hunting.
Cliff Outdoors has started selling a kit with pre-cut magnetic stick on material to make fly boxes out of snuff cans.

I would like to know where I could get some 'bulk' type sheets of Nubby Tack material to customize some fly boxes.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'll bet you can keep the rust off with just a bit of care, after all we would hopefully not be swimming with those tin boxes. I like them.
I use a butt pack and wade deep enough to dunk it about every other trip, so I'm gonna skip the tin myself.

The clear VHS box + 6mm foam sounds much better to me-
Click the image to open in full size.

This stuff is super handy for sticking the foam down-

SPRAY ONTO THE FOAM, NOT THE BOX!!!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Fred, thanks
I have been lookin for a place to get these little containers and now I know. Inexpensive and lots of choices... not good for someone like me

Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap box....have a look at my friend the Fischmeister's extraordinary fly box( a cigarette box,some little pill boxes and magnets from an old fridge)he's got magnetic flies...that's why he catches so many fish
never seen such a box anywhere....have already posted pics here but tought some would like to see that