The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM

truchas is on a distinguished road
Default Lots of Gear

I am trying to complete my fly fishing setup with some clothes for fishing in cold weather. I was wondering if people can suggest their choices of garments and other things (of good quality but "affordable") that would help make my fishing experience more enjoyable. I already have waders and a front pack (which I am thinking of replacing with a vest, any choices?). I also need to get a new pair of wading boots. I am thinking of Simms Freestone boots ($79).

Thanks,

Truchas.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Lots of Gear

Hi truchas,

Cold weather fishing can mean different things to different people. What part of the country are you from? Are you talking about fishing in the snow or just late November fishing. My cold weather fishing is when it gets below 70 degrees.

Frank
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Frank, as usual, you are right. I am talking New England cold here. I would probably go fishing during the winter if I can tolerate it. I have been out wading in a lake with ice floating around but I do not feel that I am properly prepared for wading in a river without better clothes. This year, I used mostly several layers of cotton and a fleece on top. Some days, a jacket was also needed. I did not have gloves or anything like that either. I felt once and got soaked, it was an experience... The bulkiness of the clothes I was wearing did not help me prevent the fall and did not make it easier to get out of the water as they became really heavy once they were wet. I think that clothes that are designed for fishing in cold weather would help me out with both of these issues.

Truchas.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:42 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Hi Truchas,

Here's my .02

If you're looking for a new chest pack, there's a smokin deal on eBay for a William Joseph Coastal pack. It's like the one I had stolen, but a different color. If I remember corectly, they retailed for about 150 or so and I got my original one for 90 bucks. There's one left for 49 bucks! Here's the link:

William Joseph COASTAL Vest Backpack, New units - eBay (item 170235285414 end time Jul-08-08 21:37:30 PDT)

As far as boots, I recently bought a pair of Simms (Rivershead? don't remember the model). They're 129 a pair and have studded aquastealth soles. With the "snot" covered rocks on the San Juan, that's the ONLY sole I'm interested in from now on! Another nice feature of aquastealth is yoou don't have to wait for it to dry, since the soles are "rubber".

As far as jackets, etc. there's some good deals out there on closeouts like Simms and Patagonia. I bought a Simms Rivertek jacket a few months back and it's great if you layer under it for the conditions.

Hope this helps!

Phil
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
christer is on a distinguished road

Hi Truchas!

I do alot of coastal fishing for sea run browns here in Sweden, and sometimes, but not often it´s below freezing point.
I never use cotton when I´m outdoors I always use polyester or wool(sweaters) Always polyester under breathable waders(or any waders)
If you´ll be fishing waters in the 40´s or lower regularly I think you should get a pair of neoprene waders, they are outstanding in cold water.

I use a pair of "fairly" bulky neoprene fingerless gloves(glacier gloves)
when it´s really cold. This spring a swedish sportfishing magazine had tried a glove for kayaking in cold weather, wich was made of very thin neoprene(not fingerless) an the reporter liked it. I`ll try to locate my issue of that magazine to ge the brand nae and model.

sweet water and light laughter until next...
/Christer
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

The most important part of my cold weather gear is something for my hands that allows enough dexterity yet provides enough warmth to allow dexterity. I personally prefer fingerless wool gloves, and usually I'll bring an extra pair of mittens to put over those when I need to warm up. My cold weather clothing is similar to any other situation, and built on a layering system. Synthetics (fleece, capilene, etc) and wool are preferred over cotton. Since it doesn't insulate when wet, depending on cotton in cold weather, especially when water is entered into the equation, is a recipe for hypothermia. A chestpack/backpack hybrid can be helpful for storing extra layers of clothing as well as a rain jacket.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:19 AM

Doubletap is on a distinguished road

I think you'll get as many different opinions as posters, on the topic of preferred gear - so heres my two cents!

I fish Sea Run Cutthroat and Steelies through the winter, here on Vancouver Island - and while our climate is regulated by the warmth of the Pacific Ocean - it can get pretty cold at times.
Click the image to open in full size.

As Christer said - layers of man-made fibers are the ticket - I like polypropylene, myself. I purchased a set of Cloudveil 8x breathables last summer, and find them warmer in cold water than my neoprenes. No doubt due to the fact that vapor escapes, rather than sitting cold next to your skin - which will happen regardless of the "wicking" properties of your long underwear.

I used to use a vest, and thought it pretty handy - until I picked up a WJ Confluence chest pack. That thing rocks! Lots of room for any sort of fly gear you might need in the chest pouches and a small (but surprisingly voluminous) pack on the back into which I can stuff bear spray, lunch, water bottle, sunglasses and a folding rain jacket. It also has plenty of loops which can be used to hang extra gear (like a spare rod) with two-sided Velcro.
Click the image to open in full size.

For boots, I really prefer Korkers.
Korkers - multi-tool shoes for outdoor, hiking, fishing, golf and work. Versatile OmniTrax Sole System for hiking shoes, hiking boots and trail sandals, fishing shoes, fishing waders, industrial and roofing shoes, golf shoes.
I find the ability to switch between sole types to be a real plus - no more slipping along dry cliffs in wet felts, and conversely, no more slipping along algae covered rocks with trail lugs. It takes about 30 seconds to switch out the soles and can be done without removing your boots. Give em a try - you won't go back to "one or the other" again!

Finish it all off with the obvious - a good winter hat, or touque and a warm set of gloves (I like wool with "Thinsulate" interior - the fingerless kind that has a flip over mitten-type hood) and you're good to go, no matter how cold it gets!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM

Hi People,

Thanks to all of you that wanted to help me out. From the responses, I gather that my original post was pretty general. I have since bought a wading jacket. There is one thing that everybody seems to agree on: "never wear cotton". I wonder if anybody has any preferences for good underwader garments. There are a lot of closeouts on the web these days and I would like to take advantage of the opportunity.

I also realize from a couple of suggestions that gloves are a must, can you think of any that would work in the severe New England weather conditions?

In terms of boots, people seem to have different opinions (what else is new? ;-)). I already have a pair of cheap wading boots (Stearns) but they are not very good and they are starting to break already. I will take a look at the Korkers and Simms as the most probable buys. I will buy also a pair of good waders for when my $60 Bass Pro Shop ones break. They are great, no complaints but I know they will break sooner or later.

I think that I may have not been clear on the front pack/vest issue. I want to replace the front pack for a vest because the front pack is really bulky and prevents me from seeing what I am doing with the line. In very fast waters, this is a serious pain for me. I am yet to find a vest that I like and that I can afford ;-).

Thanks,

Truchas.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:25 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine, a Montana fly fishing guide who fishes year round, says that waders with attached boots are warmer than separate boots over neoprene socks. Obviously, he uses layered synthetic and wool socks.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Alligator's friend is correct. Boot foot waders are warmer than the stocking foot. Boots are usually lined with wool felt and the foot is not cramped into the boot. The quickest way to get cold feet is to ware tight fitting boots of any kind.

Frank