The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders.. Teach me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Personally I wouldn't go under 300 unless you find a closeout but the biggest thing that helps me determine what waders to get is where is the inseam, if it runs down the inside of the leg they will leak at some point in time. All waders do its inevitable. I have a set of Patagonia WaterMasters that leaked within a few months, they are the lightweights though and now theres enough aquaseal on them to stave off any leaks! Mind you these have the inner leg seam and I do alot of hiking with them on.
Good call WB, good call ... but there is an easy answer .. and no idea why the manufacturer's don't do this from the 'git-go.' Hit a store like "REI" (whom-ever) and get a roll of water proof tent repair tape. You want it to be at least 2" wide so there's plenty of overlap of what's there to what you're about to do. Cut tape to fit (start long as you can always nip a bit off, but a pain if it's too short to start with) and glue down over the existing seam.

Be sure to use a flat tool of some sort to throughly flatten out (glue in place) the new stuff. Getting the edges down is 'critical path.' This will double out the 'chafe' area; never had an 'in-seam leak' after doing the above.

Fred
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM

manderson2228 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Waders.. Teach me..

How do the Orvis waders stack up against the Simms?? I've read some complaints recently about the Simms customer service and issues.. Orvis seems to get great reviews for customer service and their waders seem to be more resonably priced?