The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Rubber or Cotton Nets

I need a new net and was reading the other day that cotton nets are gentler on the fishes scales and their mucus membrane as compared to a rubber net. I had always thought the opposite was true. Cotton seems abrasive to be rubbing up against a fish.....

Does anyone know which is true?
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rubber or Cotton Nets

I prefer the rubber mesh myself and think it's much easier on the fish and me. Used one for about 4 yrs now, don't see myself going back.
Flies, (especially tandem rigs) don't get nearly as tangled and stuck in the rubber mesh either.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ant: Ditto on what Fysh says! I used to hate how my flies would be tangled in the net when you landed a fish, now with the rubber nets it is so much nicer! You won't regret going with a rubber net.

Larry
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I've always heard rubber net bags are easier on the fish and the bonus of not having flies get stuck in the net makes it all the better.
I recently got a Brodin San Juan Ghost net.
Love it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Yatahey

Good looking net. First saw rubber nets on the San Juan in 1991. As I recall, the guides said they were buying them at WalMart.

Agree with the others, rubber is better, think you will like it. OOPS, just noticed you already love it!

imxer
Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

I use rubber as i too heard it was easier on the fish since it doesn't absorb anything. Theyre heavier but not heavy enough to sink my wood framed net, plus i have a pretty small net anyways. Originally it was a cotton or nylon netting, but i bought a rubber net with a ruled centreline that i was able to put onto it easily.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. I was planning on getting a rubber net anyway because my old net was grabbing my flies and I ended up operating on it to get one back. But I was reading Greatlakes Steelhead by Nagey and he recommends using a cotton net because of the rubber being rougher on the fish, so I started second guessing myself.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I currently have one of those no tangle nylon nets, but I want a rubber net and will buy one soon.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"World View" from what I've read on several UK based Fora: Rubber ... Period.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Skip the net altogether and get your hands wet. milt.