The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question "PVC" Landing Net Material

While visiting a great fly shop (Fish 'n Float, I think) on my recent San Juan/NM trip, I saw a net which was translucent and very light, yet appeared just as trout-friendly as my unfortunately-heavy rubber net. The manager said he had replacement nets in small, but not any in the larger size I would need. He said they were made out of "PVC", but obviously not in the formulation one normally thinks of when PVC comes to mind.

I seem to recall them called "Ghost Nets", presumably because of their more-invisible appearance to trout when trying to net them, but can not come up with anything Googling that term.

Would appreciate any information anyone has on this new net material and where I might be able to obtain replacement nets made of it.

Thanks for any information,
Neil
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: "PVC" Landing Net Material

Brodin has them Our Nets
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Brodin has them Our Nets
Thanks, Mojo. Sent a query to them as to whether they sell replacement nets. Is my recollection right that Brodin's PVC Ghost netting is lighter in weight than rubber netting?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neal,

Make sure you give us a report if you are able to get some of the Ghost Netting.

Frank
Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Neal,

Make sure you give us a report if you are able to get some of the Ghost Netting.

Frank
Will do, Frank. FYI, I called them and ordered the larger of the two replacement Ghost PVC replacement nets for a reasonable $25. The landing net I am wanting to fit it on is a Norwegian collapsible telescoping net that has a triangular configuration, but close in dimensions to the teardrop-shaped Frying Pan Brodin net whose replacement net I ordered. I expect it in next week and will report on whether it is as "fish friendly" as the rubber net it will be replacing and, just as importantly, whether it is significantly lighter in weight.

Neil
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Thumbs up Re: "PVC" Landing Net Material

Frank,

Just received the Brodin PVC "Ghost netting" I ordered directly from Brodin and replaced the black rubber netting on my collapsible telescoping net with it. It is a bunch lighter and looks to be just as fish friendly. While I haven't used it yet, when I go on my Wyoming trip next month, I'll see if its translucent "color" spooks trout less when I'm approaching them with the net. Having hauled that heavy rubber netting too much already, there's no doubt that the PVC Ghost netting will travel a lot lighter, both on airplane carry-on and particularly on the water.

Neil
Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Niel,

Thanks for the report. That sounds like a good replacement for the black rubber. I bet you are going to like it a lot better. I have a Brodin catch and release net that would be a good candidate for a ghost net.

Frank

Brodin Ghost Net
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 PM

I'm sure you're right, Frank. If you check that website Mojo so helpfully provided me for Brodin nets, there's a full range of their Ghost nets (among others). Many of them are variations size-wise of the two different-sized replacement Ghost nets, and as I mentioned, their Frying Pan model's net size and configuration were close enough to my unusual shape (no, the net's, not mine) to where I had no problem fitting it on. By just hefting the Ghost netting compared to the black rubber, you could really feel the weight difference. The only downside I noticed on the Ghost is that the net hole spacing is a little larger than on my black rubber, so I'm worried that the three-inch trout I specialize in might get away.

Neil
Old 08-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Good one Niel.

Frank