The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Wading Jackets

I am in the market for a good, durable, and lasting wading jacket. Something I could use from late fall to Early spring. My only problem is I only know of one company that makes wading jackets, Simms. I do not feel like spending $300-400 for a wading jacket. Anyone know of any good jackets out there or companies that make wading Jackets besides Simms?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wading Jackets

MikeG,
I picked this one out a few months ago. I had a ecoupon for 10-20% the prices shown here. I like it. It would be ideal for the time frame that you are looking for.

Redington Bow River Jacket - Waterproof (For Men) - Save 49%

Thanks,
Terry
Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Hey Piscator.

I'm thinking of getting that jacket also. I'm 5'10'' at about 190- do you think the x- large might be too big. Folks on reviews say it runs a little large. I'm a true large normally, but want to layer this. Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:49 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Cabela's also has a decent selection of wading jackets in all price ranges.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the Cabela's recommendation. I went by there last night and came across a sale they were having on their house brand rain gear. I got the Paclite, which is their lightweight Gore-Tex gear and it normally runs for $109 and I got it for $55 (50% off). The sign said all rain gear was 30% off but when I got to the register it was 50% off which is an excellent deal IMHO. The clerk who rang me up asked where I got it because he wanted to get one at that price.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I agree with the Cabela's recommendation. I went by there last night and came across a sale they were having on their house brand rain gear. I got the Paclite, which is their lightweight Gore-Tex gear and it normally runs for $109 and I got it for $55 (50% off). The sign said all rain gear was 30% off but when I got to the register it was 50% off which is an excellent deal IMHO. The clerk who rang me up asked where I got it because he wanted to get one at that price.
In that case, that is most likely a in store deal only. I actually work at Cabela's in IL. Most larger discounts like that tend to be instore deals only. They are trying to clear inventory they could not sell and they drop it off 50%. Unfortunately my store only carries the camouflage wading jackets, which I do not want. If I find a similar quality one at another store I will most likely get it because my discount is nothing if I could get it cheaper somewhere else.

I actually stumbled across Patagonia products. How are there wading jackets?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mike,

Here are a few you can consider. These are the best of the lower cost GORE-TX jackets that I know about. Order a Cabela's Fly Fishing Catalog. It has some very good jackets. I like the Cabela's Guideware Jacket. Some of our members use the Redington Bow River jacket and they liked it. I don't like the fact that it is not GORE-TEX. All of these jackets are under $220.

Frank

Cabela's GORE-TEX Jacket (Available in Bargain Cave)
Click the image to open in full size.

Cabala's GORE-TEX Guidewear Wading Jacket

Redington Bow River Wading Jacket
Old 10-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Jose,
I'm 5'8" and float between 180 and 190 and I bought the X-Large. It should work for you as well. Actually, when I made my order I bought both the Large and XL to determine for myself which one would work best for me. I like it because if I wanted to wear something heavy underneath I can.

I have a great Cabela's Gore-Tex Outer shell with the Fleece interior jack that can be switched out. It's a really nice jacket.

As far as the Patagonia wading jackets they are expensive but well worth it. I envy one of my Fishing buddies jacket everytime I see.

It's all in the matter of how much you can afford.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info on the sizing, Piscator.

One more question on this jacket- do the cuffs close up fairly well? I read one review where the guy spoke of water getting in up the sleeve.

As far as Patagonia- I love all their stuff and it's guaranteed! They have a great sale once or twice a year, and that's the only time I buy from them- after all I need to save for the fly tying equipment : )
Old 10-25-2008, 07:33 PM

I work at Cabela's so I can get Cabela's products at great discounts and also get industry jackets like Patagonia at massive discount off wholesale price.

I think I just need to try some on at the stores and see what I like the best.