North Fork Outdoors "Outlaw Renegade"

mojo

Reaction score
I don't do this often, unless I think it's worth talking about. Most of you know I'm (along with Joni) a stillwater fisher. Love streams and rivers, but in the summer, or from ice off to hard deck it's stillwater fishing. You may also know that I have a Scadden (NFO) Outlaw X5 kickboat. Inflatable, framed unitrac kickboat, with a 5hp Nissan (Merc) outboard. Love that boat.

But this review is about Going Commando!
No motor, no frame, unbelievable stability, class V whitewater rated if you got the cojones. 9' long, 15" diameter tubes and tips the scale at 28 lb. with a weight capacity of 800 lb.

No frame meaning it has no aluminum, steel, carbon fiber etc. frame. The 'toon is a single toon with two chambers to inflate. "U" shaped.

The inflatable seat portion has a built in "pop off valve". Inflate it too much and the valve pops and releases the excess air. (It's also thermally welded to the toons.) I use a LVM pump to inflate the boat and top off the toon's with a K-Pump (3 psi) but I don't inflate the seat any more than that. That way it's perfect for my keister comfort. It's big enough you can straddle the seat and the back, stand and sight fish.
The clip-on seat is called the F16, and it's like some of the stadium seats or kayak seats I've seen, but damn it's more comfy. It just clips to the built in straps on the inflatable seat.
The boat is bladder-less, has thermally welded seams (not sewn) and the fabric is pvc coated- I'm not sure of the weight. It also has extra "skid" plates- of the same material on the bottom of the toon in the right places. So if you drag your boat, or beach it, you're utilizing the skid plates. And from what Dave told me, they're replaceable if you get too careless.
The oar system has integrated oar locks and NFO calls it 'rack and pinion' although I'm not familiar with this type of 'rack and pinion'.:)
It's easy to row, and the oars that came with it are lightweight Alcoa 6061 T65 2 piece aluminum oars 5' long. Myself, I want some longer oars with a larger paddle area. the boat has a built in oar keeper on each side that the oars clip to and they stay out of your way. The way the oar lock is set up, the oars fold up against the side of the boat and stay there anyway, but I can see where the locks come in very handy. Just a little something extra that's nice to have.
The side bags are insulated, pretty much water proof and double as rod holders. They hold quite a bit of what ever you want them too. I usually take 6 fly boxes, and extra spools of sinking lines with me. A couple of drinks, cameras, GPS, walkie talkie, spools of leader/tippet material, munchies etc. It all fits in these bags. They're pretty much the standard Scadden side bag that he's had forever it seems, and I can't find a whole lot wrong with them. I guess it's a '' If it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing.

Easy set up. It takes less than 3 minutes to inflate and in 5 minutes you're on the water. Clip on the side bags, clip on the seat, the foot bar, and put your rods in the side pouch's of the bags and add water.
This boat is very easy to kick around. According to my GPS, casually kicking I'm averaging .8 mph. Not bad. Very easy to move on the water and just as easy to turn. When the wind kicked up, it didn't take much to keep myself in place.
When I'm using my X5, I usually (99% of the time) wear hip waders. The first time I tried the Renegade I wasn't sure of where my arse was going to be in relation to the surface of the water, so I put my chest waders on. From now on it's the hippers. I figure the bottom of the seat is at least 4+" above the water, and if my butt does get wet, it's going to be some storm that I'm fishing in.
Well that's about it for this time. Just one little thing extra-
It'll deflate and you can pack it into an airline specific travel bag- about the size of a standard suitcase or a 36" duffel (that's why the 2 pc. 5' oars) Take it on the airplane with you or in a rental car.
I don't work for Dave Scadden or NFO. I've had a lot of NFO kickboats and tubes over the years, and they just keep getting better. I've owned and fished out of different manufactures toon's and tubes, but I have to say I haven't found anything that can match them, let alone better them. They do cost more than the average kickboat, and in my eyes, well worth it. If you stillwater fish a lot, look into them at Northfork Outdoors index or call Dave or Larry Tullis [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]801-392-5404 [/FONT]and talk to them. Tell them I sent you.
They're made/built in Ogden, Utah, USA- just 35 miles north of me. Lifetime guaranteed. And damn fun to fish out of.

Edit- November 7-Had the boat on the water now 4 times now. Yesterday at Strawberry from 8:30 am to 2:30. Couldn't believe my butt wasn't sore or my back and I can't believe how much I like this boat.

So here's some more pictures on the driveway.

Clip on the F16 seat

Oar locks and oar clip

Install the side bags- insulated, water resistant and you can use the pockets for a rod holder (works good too) .

Clip on the foot bar- I put a couple links of chain on to lengthen it out. Average height people won't have a problem with the stock set up. I use S biners.

That's pretty much done. These next ones are the additions- anchor mount made by Scotty and a rod holder by Scotty. The side bags hold a rod in each one, but this way I can have a rod right up front to get to. It's out of the way of the oars when I row. AND it's pretty easy to row this thing.

Chain anchor

Rod holder

All done- quick set up and on the water in a flash.

Alan/mojo

Last edited:

Vans

Reaction score
Nice review.

I have a question regarding the X5, if you dont mind....

How well does it perform in your opinion in waters that are moving? If you have had it in such that is. I am very intrigued by this water craft and i can see myself using it mainly on small lakes. However, we have our share of good trout water in good sized rivers. Just wondering what i could expect. Thnx

Jimmie

Reaction score
Nice review of the Outlaw Renegade. There are a lot of things that I like on it. First one that size that I've seen with oar locks. The pop off valve could save my bacon (six of us got out of the lake last Sat. for a BBQ; the sun came out; we got back to six tubes ready to burst). Good looking too.

mojo

Reaction score
Nice review.

I have a question regarding the X5, if you dont mind....

How well does it perform in your opinion in waters that are moving? If you have had it in such that is. I am very intrigued by this water craft and i can see myself using it mainly on small lakes. However, we have our share of good trout water in good sized rivers. Just wondering what i could expect. Thnx
Here you go. The video is better than I can answer.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhCdtEPc_s8"]YouTube - Dave Scadden Outlaw X5[/ame]

BigCliff

Reaction score
The video is indeed helpful, but the horseshoe shape makes me wonder...

I did a float with a buddy of mine recently who has a Watermaster, and one thing I noticed was that given the "0" shape of the thing, one can take rapids either via either end and it works equally well.

I'd think that when running a 4' wide horseshoe through rock gardens would make it easy to hang one of the tips and get spun around. What's your take on that?

It seems to me like this is a great craft, and substantially cheaper than a Watermaster. I just see that as a potential shortcoming.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you have to beef up the transom for that 5 horse motor on the other boat? I have an Out Cast 13' rig and use a 3.3 merc on it and always worry about my factory mount. I keep a line tied to the front handle when I'm on a lake just for security.

mojo

Reaction score
The video is indeed helpful, but the horseshoe shape makes me wonder...

I did a float with a buddy of mine recently who has a Watermaster, and one thing I noticed was that given the "0" shape of the thing, one can take rapids either via either end and it works equally well.

I'd think that when running a 4' wide horseshoe through rock gardens would make it easy to hang one of the tips and get spun around. What's your take on that?

It seems to me like this is a great craft, and substantially cheaper than a Watermaster. I just see that as a potential shortcoming.
It's wider than a Watermaster. You can use the boat any way you want. It's rocker is made for rivers- you go down open end or closed end.
Here's another video. I don't think you'd have any problem of getting spun around unless you weren't looking where you're going. This is the Rampage which is the next size up. I would think the Renegade would fish and float the same.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/davescadden#p/u/6/NPmE7hNDC9E"]YouTube - davescadden's Channel[/ame]

Ard, I bolted on a 2x4 across the back of the deck and some 1" aluminum straps on each side of where the motor is bolted to the center of the deck(used some pressure treated wood from Lowe's and got the strap there too.) This picture is the small deck I have. I have the "mega" deck now which is 7" wider than this deck. 3 Scotty rod holders and an Scotty anchor lock. The anchor lock at the top of the picture is a "strap around the toon anchor. I like the Scotty set up because of the versatility.
Anchor lock, rod holders, extensions etc. all use the same base.

Joni

Reaction score
I don't take to change easy and I was not sure I made the right decision when I went from the 11'6" 12" diameter Cardiac Canyon to this new U design. It took time getting use to the X5. Even lost a very expensive reel trying to get use to it.
But it has happened. I love the boat.
But then we scored the Rampage and OMG! These things are fantastic. Comfortable as heck and totally adjustable.
I wanted to add a few mods I have done to mine. I use a Minn Kota so I got the motor mount NFO has specially made:

I also realized, I can use the deck that came with our X5 ( we have the Magnum on the X5 now...7" wider)

So this deck gives me a place to put my rod holders out of the way of the oars:

I cut a hole in the deck big enough to put my batter in so the battery is sitting on the inflatable floor and recessed in the deck.

These next shots are how I mounted my sonar:

It is all on this deck so takes minutes to set up.

webrx

Reaction score
Joni,

What am I missing here? Seems like your back is to your rods and your sonar, is this the case? how do you fish them this way as it seems a mit awkward to me.

d

Joni

Reaction score
Those are my spare rods. I always take at least two rods so I don't have to change lines out in the middle.
The Sonar is at my side, I do have to look over my shoulder to see it, but I don't need to look that often and it is well out of the way of my knees and oars.

IF I am fishing two rods, I will turn the rod holder closest to me out to the side and I hols the other. If a fish hits the one out to the side, I can set the hook by pulling the line.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Joni: Thanks for posting the photos, I really like the deck and how you mounted the sonar probe with the aluminum tubing.

Larry

webrx

Reaction score
Oh, ok, makes more sense to me now. I do like the scotty equipment for rod holders and now that I see it on Mojos tube, for the anchor system. I have a rod holder, but think I may have to get an anchor for my tube. How much weight, and what type of anchor are you all using on yours? I have often thought about rigging my fish finder up similar to the way you have done, I have an older basic eagle "cuda" and a small battery that I think would be perfect for a tube once the mouting is figured out. thanks for sharing how you did yours, seems like I may have a winter project to work on now.

d

the_infidel

Reaction score
i could not agree more with mojo or joni. i have both the renegade and the Avenger (about 1.5 feet longer then the X5) and love these boats mroe then i could love a human child. my next two are going to be the escape and the rampage for the wife si i can get an out board for here, here is a pic mojo linked of my boat (i think, proxy blocks photo bucket wher eim at acurrently):

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/68082-hola.html

mojo

Reaction score
Zack, I didn' understand a word you said, boy!
I can post some pics of Zack's and Bri's set up.

Webrx, use 5/16" or 3/8" chain and a large carabiner. Mine weighs about 12 Lbs.
I have another anchor- drift boat style I use too. (when I need 2 anchors)

txbevo

Reaction score
mojo, thanks for the very detailed and informative review. I do have a few questions. Now that you have the frameless boat, do you still use the X5? If you could only have one of the boats, the X5 or the frameless, which would you choose?

I like the looks and features of the frameless, but also like the versatility of being able to stand with the X5. Seems to me that the ideal solution would be some sort of standing platform for the frameless boats that would not require the entire frame. I thought I heard that Scadden was working on something like that. Is there any further word on it?