The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 PM

Karl is on a distinguished road
Default Braided leaders

What are the pros and cons of braided/furled leaders?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:28 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Braided leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
What are the pros and cons of braided/furled leaders?
Two different animals. Braided leaders (are braided mono) have a tendency to spray water (and absorb it) when you lift your line off and false cast or cast. Made mostly of nylon, some memory. I've used Orvis in the past, and I don't know who else makes them but I wasn't impressed.
Furled leaders- Uni-thread or mono, (furled like rope) no memory, very limp, you can cast a good Uni leader with your hand, can last all season. They lay out like a leader should, straight with miniscule drag. You can use them for nymphing, drys, wets, etc. With a 4' or 5' furled leader you can put up to a 6' tippet of your choice of size on, and it'll still lay out great.
Only drawback is you have to grease them with a floatant (mucillin, paste wax, Loon or Gerke's floatant) every couple hours. Which to me isn't a big deal.
I can't stand using regular extruded (tapered) mono leaders anymore. I don't like the memory that the modern day tapered leader has. The price for 3 is outrageous and how long does one really last? They don't lay out that good, even when you straighten them- unless it's 90º outside.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

They are NOT the same thing. There is FURLED leaders which is "furled" and there is BRAIDED LEADERS which are braided.
FOR ME, Braided leaders spray water all over the place when lifting to recast.
Now furled on the other hand, lay down really nice, even the smallest of flies.
But they are also FANTASTIC for nymphing. Then hold indicators really well.
I will be honest and say I used BRAIDED for a short time and hated them. I only use furled now and make my own.
Braided is as it implies, braided.
Furled is several progressions to create a taper in a "V". Then they are both turned the same direction shrinking overall length about 10%. The "V" is then joined and with weight allowed to spin in the opposite direction.

If you want to PM me your address, I will send you one to try.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:35 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Hey Karl,

Definitely PM her!

I've been using two of her leaders all summer and fall. One for wets and another (greased up) for dries. Like Mojo said - they have such a long life span compared to regular tapered leaders;they're quite versatile and lay out wonderfully.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
Hey Karl,

Definitely PM her!

I've been using two of her leaders all summer and fall. One for wets and another (greased up) for dries. Like Mojo said - they have such a long life span compared to regular tapered leaders;they're quite versatile and lay out wonderfully.
What he said. What Joni said. What Mojo said.
Joni sent me two in June. I've used them all season and they're still like new. I now make my own thanks to info that Joni passed along. The only way to go is furled leaders. IMHO.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Dr. Blue Dun is on a distinguished road

I fully agree with all that has been said re: leaders with the exception regarding tapered leaders---I have used Airflo for many years and they have replaced my personally hand tied leaders for the most part. Braided leaders IMHO are a horror and a noisy leader leader to boot, but if you like a shower every time you cast? I haven't tried furled leaders as of yet, but I feel the possibility is there for the 2009 season. I have toyed with tying my own furled leaders but haven't gotten my addled brain past stage one as of yet. Sometimes I just hang such ideas as not worth the effort, until I look at the price and the "auld Scotch blood" starts tingling in my veins.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:11 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Doc,
Check this out.
SFL-KS : SIMPLE FURLED LEADERS: Golden Witch
Worth the money, Scotty.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Doc,
Check this out.
SFL-KS : SIMPLE FURLED LEADERS: Golden Witch
Worth the money, Scotty.
Thanks for the link....Kathy Scott makes it look so simple.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Thanks for the link....Kathy Scott makes it look so simple.
Thank you Joni, for turning me on to furled leaders.
My first, several attempts using Kathy's DVD did not go well. I kept putting the line on the outside of peg 4 on the second pass instead of inside the peg. After starring at the rig for about an hour, I finally figured out that it wouldn't work that way.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I suppose if you've furled as many leaders as Kathy has, it would look simple. Must confess to having a light bulb moment when making the first batch, and it's much easier now! My only problem is in making dozens of them, I never wind up with any when I fish! I've even taken leaders off my line to set up for someone else who has been having problems fishing. It's fun to see the spark in their eyes when it all sets in! It's a great problem to deal with! Make them short, make them long, make them with Vanish in them, make them with monofilament in them. Grease the floaters or let them air dry between casts. There's nothing like a furled leader!