The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Small, flat floatant paste

I have a small, light fly fishing outfit. So light that I can throw it in my day pack without thinking anything about it. And if I come across a small pond or feeder creek, well...

I need a very small container of floatant that I can put in the fly box that I've rigged to hold all my tackle. All the squeezable containers, like eye drop containers, are too thick. I remember seeing small, round containers with paste fly floatant, but can't seem to find them.

Any leads?
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 12-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small, flat floatant paste

Hi Gator,
I'm not sure that I've seen the type you mentioned, but I have heard(on this site I believe)that you can use 'Chapstick' for floatant if your in a pinch, and that would fit in your box.

**Wait a minute, I just reread your post and I misunderstood what you were asking, I thought you meant small round containers such as those that Chapstick come in.
Anyway, I think 'Gink' floatant comes in a round container in a paste formulation, along with a squeeze type bottle.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well maybe it doesn't come in the small round containers anymore, I just looked through all my F/F links and could not find any either. Sorry.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Dave's floatant comes in a squooshed-looking container that uses the same cap system most of the other floatants use.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

are you talking about cortland's DAB gel floatant? orvis used to sell it in the same orange disc-like container. type in cortland dab floatant in your favorite search engine.

if you're trying to save weight, try frogs fanny. it'll help lighten your wallet too.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Gator,
The Cortland 'Dab' floatant is one that I had seen many moons ago.

Well I went Shopping this afternoon with the wife @ the local mall and guess what I spied? it was a bright Orange container of Cortland Floatant, I thought about getting it for you but someone had stuck their finger in it so I didn't get it, and it was the only one that I seen.

If your interested and cannot find any, I would be willing to drive to town and get that one for you if you want it.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

This Loon floatant still comes in one of the small round containers. I just got some a couple of weeks ago. There are still a number of online places that have it.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone who took an interest in my "little" project. I found the Cortland Dab Floatant on the internet and ordered it.

Happy holidays and tight lines.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley