The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Wading Jackets (part 2)

Hello all,
The reason I added "part 2" was because as I searched the threads in the Other Gear category the most helpful thread to me was of the same name but has not been updated since 2007. I just wondered if there have been any products that have or continue to impress you with their performance. Im not looking to spend a large amount of money but quality is a concern.
Although Im not neccessarily ready to buy right now I figured that with the onset of the colder months, if Im kicking around a new jacket someone else is probably looking hard and both of us could use a little input.
Thanks

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Jackets (part 2)

Here are my preferences:
  • Gore-Tex or high quality membrane
  • Material that allows good movement
  • Watertight zippered pockets
  • A hood that moves with my head
  • A place for my hemostats to grab or hang on to
  • Large enough pockets that will fit medium sized fly boxes

I used a Columbia wading jacket for years. It did the job, but I felt that the material was to stiff, and the fly box pockets closed with a velcro flap. At the end of a rainy fishing day, I had water in my fly box pockets.

I am using a Simms Rivershed jacket. It is lighter. All the pockets are watertight. I have used it in sub-freezing temperatures, and I was comfortable. I was well layered for the conditions.

MP
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

Cloudveil 8X Pro

Simply an outstanding piece of gear!

Quality is top-notch in all areas....even has underarm pit zips...which I strongly feel are a mandatory & essential feature to a wading jacket in any southeastern state.
(it is a shame Cloudveil is stepping away from the fly-fishing business for the time being)

Patagonia makes great wading jackets...as do William Joseph & Orvis.
Good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 10:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You should consider whether you want a lightweight jacket or a cool weather only jacket. Personally, I went with a lightweight jacket because I layer with fleece or wool sweaters in the fall/winter therefore I can get year round use.

The Simms Rivershed is an excellent jacket and had all the features I wanted but unfortunately did not fit me in the fore arms-they were too tight to suit me. The Patagonia Deep Wading Jacket is lightweight and can be had for $150 and would likely be a solid choice and a good price point. Orvis has a Sonic Seam jacket that is also worth a look at $150 I have a set of the waders, the material and comfort of these things are outstanding.

I have heard great things about the Cloudveil 8x but Cloudveil has gotten out of the fly fishing game. That being said, there are deals to be had if you look around.

MP's criteria for a good wading jacket are spot on.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

got a patagonia guidewater jacket last year and couldn't be happier. light,simple and water proof!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame09 View Post
Cloudveil 8X Pro

Simply an outstanding piece of gear!

Quality is top-notch in all areas....even has underarm pit zips...which I strongly feel are a mandatory & essential feature to a wading jacket in any southeastern state.
(it is a shame Cloudveil is stepping away from the fly-fishing business for the time being)

Patagonia makes great wading jackets...as do William Joseph & Orvis.
Good luck
The Cloudveil 8X is avaiable at $169 IF you are a size XXL. ordered one yesterday.