The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about
Default Allen fly boxes

I am wondering about the Allen FLy boxes.... the price is great at what looks like a copy of the C&F $60 box, just one question....
The leaf (middle piece that holds flies), does it just flap around or does it have tension to hold it in place?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Allen fly boxes

If I'm thinking of the correct box, the center is stationary and hold flies on both sides. It has two lids. I think Justin only sells that one style of box. I have several and they are water tight in case they drop into the water....

It is a good price, Boser
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Justin calls this box the ABS Flybox. I have two of them. It is a good box for the money and you will either tie like a wildman or spend a fortune to fill them. Each box is capable of holding over 1200 flies.
My only issue with the box is that if it gets hot on sunny days on water, the glue that holds the foam inserts in place melts and the inserts slide around somewhat inside the box. Specifically, the ends of the single rows of foam bend down as the glue heats up. I have taken all the single strands out of one of my boxes and re-glued them back with super glue.
The box Boser is referring to is the knock off of the Scientific Angler waterproof box.

As to the leaf. It is a bit flimsy and it has three tabs that are supposed to align the leaf when you shut the box. I've found the tabs tend to straighten out and get caught in the edge of the box when you try and close it. Annoying but not a deal breaker.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
I am wondering about the Allen FLy boxes.... the price is great at what looks like a copy of the C&F $60 box, just one question....
The leaf (middle piece that holds flies), does it just flap around or does it have tension to hold it in place?
I have both the C&F box and the Allen box. The leaf is the same in both.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 PM

gwozdz is on a distinguished road

And they do float!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM

edwardo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Justin calls this box the ABS Flybox. I have two of them. It is a good box for the money and you will either tie like a wildman or spend a fortune to fill them. Each box is capable of holding over 1200 flies.
My only issue with the box is that if it gets hot on sunny days on water, the glue that holds the foam inserts in place melts and the inserts slide around somewhat inside the box. Specifically, the ends of the single rows of foam bend down as the glue heats up. I have taken all the single strands out of one of my boxes and re-glued them back with super glue.
I have the same box and the same problem with the single rows. How has the super glue held up? Any idea where to get replacement foam for this box?