The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM

tippet will become famous soon enough
Default Patagonia Riverwalkers Felt - Be Careful!

The felt on my Patagonia boots started to come off while wading last fall. Not a good feeling wading around in 1,000cfs with the felt flopping around. According to Patagonia after a while they acknowledge the adhesive will simply fail. They are fixing the problem by now sewing on the felt. They are confident this potentially dangerous situation will be resolved "once we use up the stock of the old glued on style"

I spoke to a Manager at Patagonia and he admitted to knowing about the problem. And yes they want to sell off the old stuff first.

I have the contact info of the manager you should contact to fix this.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 AM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patagonia Riverwalkers Felt - Be Careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippet View Post
The felt on my Patagonia boots started to come off while wading last fall. Not a good feeling wading around in 1,000cfs with the felt flopping around. According to Patagonia after a while they acknowledge the adhesive will simply fail. They are fixing the problem by now sewing on the felt. They are confident this potentially dangerous situation will be resolved "once we use up the stock of the old glued on style"

I spoke to a Manager at Patagonia and he admitted to knowing about the problem. And yes they want to sell off the old stuff first.

I have the contact info of the manager you should contact to fix this.
That sounds like a serious lawsuit if someone gets hurt/drowns because of this problem that they admit to knowing about. I would expect more from Patagonia, they're usually a responsible company that tests extensively. Did they replace your boots?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM

When I called Patagonia about the problem they told me to box them up and return them. The rep told me of the problem and then explained how they corrected it. Of course, I assumed I'm getting the newer sewn on style. A few weeks later I get a brand new pair of the glued on style back in the mail from Patagonia.
When I called back they said they wanted to use up the old stuff first. They did say if I returned the boots(again) and wrote a check for $25 I could get the newer style.

Very suprised. I counted 28 individual items I have from Patagonia. I've never returned anything to them.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Here is Patagonia's response after I told them I didn't want the older glued on felt bottoms. That was of course after they told me about the known problems with that style. I only asked to return them;

Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 4:02 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Wading boots

The price that will be determined is the price the product was sold for that year. Yes, you can send it in to the Reno, NV address. So if you are saying you no longer want to do business with Patagonia, we can issue you a refund check for the appropriate amount for the returned product. Then we no longer sell you product and we will not accept return or exchanges
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM

throwdown is on a distinguished road

What a screwed up response! There goes another company shooting there mouth off when they should be doing the right thing. "WAY TO GO PATAGONIA". Another company that I will not purchase from.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I have been fishing a pair of Patagonia boots with a glued on sole since 2003 and have had no trouble with them at all.

Here's my understanding of the events. What tippet likely got was from a bad batch, which the company basically admitted to. They then replaced the boot at no charge, except for possibly shipping. When the customer decided that this was not sufficient, they offered to sell him a product with an improved design for about 1/6th the price of a new pair.

That's a bad company?

Horsepoo

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Not quite;

.....you buy a truck and almost have an accident because the brakes fail. You contact the company and they inform you that they are aware of the problem and tell you it's a design flaw in that year truck. They then tell you they will take care of it;
they then give you a brand new truck, same model, same year, same brake design. When you question them about the braking system they tell you for a little extra money you can have the truck with the improved braking system.

I agree, Horsepoo!

While maybe my analogy is a little of a stretch when wading around in 1,000 cfs you want a firm footing. Seems every year someone drowns on that river. If your just walking around in puddles you probably don't care much.

I'm glad you like your boots I was just passing along the information Patagonia gave me. The glue can fail and it's normally not a gradual thing, usually all at once. Thats what happened to me and that's what they told me.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippet View Post
While maybe my analogy is a little of a stretch when wading around in 1,000 cfs you want a firm footing. Seems every year someone drowns on that river. If your just walking around in puddles you probably don't care much.

I'm glad you like your boots I was just passing along the information Patagonia gave me. The glue can fail and it's normally not a gradual thing, usually all at once. Thats what happened to me and that's what they told me.
Well now crapping out all at once is a bit different. I would bet its still the case that the bad glue only affected 10% or less of the boots they sold, so they were figuring there was very little chance of your second pair having the same problem.

You could always add in some studs to the perimeter of the sole to add grip and hold the felt on there.

As an aside, 1000cfs being major flow depends on the river. That's stout flow on my local tailwater as well, but would be a trickle on the Sandy or Susquehanah.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Again I'm glad you like your boots and Patagonia as a company.

I am still perplexed with the position Patagonia took on this issue but I've moved on. It was never about the money for me and I'm not big into gambling. Even if it was 10% or less I'm not playing, shouldn't have to.

and as far as wading goes a 1,000 cfs is a 1,000 cfs.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road

The reason I think this is noteworthy is the fact that they acknowledged that their product is defective in their communication and then proceeded to offer the same product in exchange - admittedly because they want to get rid of the stock of that product before offering the non-defective one in exchange. That really is a fat products liability lawsuit waiting to happen.

Liabilities aside, I expected a little more from Patagonia in terms of ethics and customer relations. Frankly I am surprised that they'd take a product out of rotation specifically because it does not perform well, and then try to force someone to accept the very same product simply because they're trying to clear the shelves. They attempt to fashion themselves as a company that cares about the consumer, that stands behind their products and goes beyond that promoting ethics in other ways. So it's not that their conduct was egregious, it's basically how many other for profit corporations would act. I just expected them to be better than average. Oh well.