The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road
Default Tie-Fast

I was at the fly show down here last weekend and saw The folks at tie-fast demo the knot tyer tool I've seen it around for years but never tried it or seen anyone use one. I was blown away. Easiest nail knots on the planet. I picked one up. Anyone else try this bad boy?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tie-Fast

I got one after someone posted it on here. Haven't used it much but the nail knot and snelling hooks sold me. I got it at the same time that I got some line clippers, but I'm still using my teeth, lol.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

It's the second best next to the 'tie one on' (same idea with the addition of a built in bottle opener ) which I have only found one of... I have several of the tie fast tools spread throughout the gear bag/pack/reel case collection... and a spare in the truck!

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have a small one with my fly tying stuff, but I always carry these:

Tie FAst Combo Tool Nippers @The Trout Spot

Awesome, Nippers, Hone, Hook Sharpener, and Knot tool all in one!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I keep one in my pack at all times.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

We used them back when I worked at the Grapevine BPS and had to set up dozens of combos at a time. BIG timesaver. I still keep one around. You can make a pair of hemostats work the same way in a pinch, but the Tie-Fast is sure quicker.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Nothing faster in tying a cinch knot than hemo's.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

It has truly made a difference in my knot tying abilities in the last 2 years. It provides a most confident and reliable knot. I have both the nippers that Joni mentioned and the tool on my lanyard. Use it and I believe you will see it will improve you speed and confidence in your knots.
Tight Lines,
Terry
Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I tie a couple hundred knots a month using a tie-fast, it's a great little tool. The also make a magnum version which works well with larger diameter materials.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi DSFlyman,

I have had one for many years. Bought it when they first came out. I had a problem with very light tippets like 5X. The edges were too sharp and could damage the leader. I took a fine grain stone and smoothed the edges where the leader wraps around. I just kind of put a radius on edge. That may not be a problem with the new ones. If you don't tie knots with it in light tippets then don't worry about it. I never use it for light tippets.

Frank

Tie-Fast Knot Tool
Click the image to open in full size.