The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading staffs and LOU's.

I like my Folstaf for trout fishing. The holster stays on my wading belt all the time so it's no problem remembering to bring it along and it's not ever in the way. It only comes out when I need it.
When I wade for pike in the Connecticut River I carry an big old ski pole and probe the muddy bottom every step. It creeps me out not being able to see my feet in the murky water and carrying the big stick feels me better
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wading staffs and LPU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kessler View Post
I have both a FolStaf and a Simms Staff. Both are high quality pieces of equipment. I like and recommend both. Both are shock corded to deploy easily. What the Simms Staff has that the Folstaf does not is the fact that once deployed, the Simms locks together. To take the Simms staff down, you then have to release it with a push button. The FolStaf breaks down like a fly rod and is in more sections so it breaks down smaller.

Thanks, I did not realize this about the Simms. Sounds like this is what I am looking for.
Tuck
Old 07-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
I am looking for one that automatically snaps together when taken out of its holster. I can see your point about it getting stuck between rocks and coming apart when you pull on it but I like being able to keep it tucked away in its holster until it is needed quickly.
Tuck
I personally think that's a better choice. It's imperative that the wading staff be instantly available for use, and the collapsible model works better for that, in that you don't have to "pre-assemble" it as in the case of the screw-together or telescoping types even if you end up not needing it after all. If not needed, the collapsible model stays folded out of the way in its holster. I would add that the first time the collapsible model's tip gets stuck in the rocks and comes apart when pulling on it is rather disconcerting, but after that it's hardly worth a thought.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
. . . I don't use a PFD. I usually very cautious about the water I wade and if it's too fast, I don't go in far.
If like me you are often wading in fast river waters where you're uncomfortable with the ease of footing, a belt PFD may be the way to go. I use a SOSpenders model (equivalent to Stearns; image below) which with its small footprint is completely out of the way when not inflated (either by CO2 cartridge or manually), and its belt negates the need for a separate wading belt, plus works well for extra belt-mounted accessories (wading staff holster, holsters for Lippa-4-Life, pliers, etc.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stearns Inflata-Belt (Cabela's).jpg (11.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-27-2009, 02:15 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kessler View Post
I have both a FolStaf and a Simms Staff. Both are high quality pieces of equipment. I like and recommend both. Both are shock corded to deploy easily. What the Simms Staff has that the Folstaf does not is the fact that once deployed, the Simms locks together. To take the Simms staff down, you then have to release it with a push button. The FolStaf breaks down like a fly rod and is in more sections so it breaks down smaller.
Perhaps you have an older model Simms staff. The new Simms Wading Staff is not shock-corded, but uses a flexible steel cable that is coated with vinyl so it will not rust. It still locks into the open position, and can be carried in the collapsed condition in the provided neoprene holster. 2 issues with the Simms, it does take 2 hands to lock open (unless you are a very skilled one-hander), and it does not break down into as many pieces as the Folstaff, so with the molded Simms handle it is quite a bit longer to carry disassembled. Now 2 advantages with the Simms; when it is locked open it will NOT ever pull apart (I know everyone says this is no big deal - but it never happens until you actually need the staff for balanace, and then you have to try to keep your balance while you get the pole back together and unstuck from the rocks) and the Simms is slightly thinner in diameter, which makes it easier to push through fast moving water. I have both types of staffs, and I find that I am using the Simms all the time - much sturdier and easier to use.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i wouldn't call a PFD a politically correct term, just civilian, and current.

i do not have a wading staff though i have been putting off the purchase of one for years. at times i've used stout branches if necessary or a few times a hiking staff but usually forgo aggressive wading in iffy conditions.

recently i came across a thread somewhere about a wading staff very popular with guides in the northwest of this country. northern california i'm assuming after viewing the site

here's the link to hart's river stalker:
Hart's Guide Service Mt. Shasta-Fly Fishing River Detective

what's faster than the normal deployment of staffs so far discussed (chuckling).

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Hart's Stick - pretty pricey to charge $50 for a 4.5 ft wooden stick with a rubber handle, 2 ft bungee and a plastic clip.

I agree - it is faster to deploy than any of the shock-corded collapsible models.

That is why I assemble my Simms staff before I wade into the water and it is always ready for use (just like the Hart's "stick"!)