The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 AM

EDYak is on a distinguished road
Default tungsten studs??, what exactly should they do?

I'm new to all this, but have to say am probably addicted!
I'm from New Zealand.
I have brought a pair of Scierra Dynatrack boots with Tungsten studs - thinking and being led to believe that the studs aided in grip on the slimmy rocks in the local rivers. On first 2 uses this was or seemed to be proved the correct thinking as they worked great - I even managed to hook 10 local Browns, so was feeling pretty good about them - must have been the boots cause my technique suxs!
On getting home after the 2nd outing I noticed that several of the studs on both boots had, for want of a better term, "broken".
When 1st brought the studs look sort of like short rivets before they have been fired. After the second use when I noticed the problem the central spike of the stud had broken away - the Tungsten spike.
So took them back to the shop, where the salesman said himself that he thought that they should'nt have broken off,as that was the part that gave most of the grip, He sent them back to the Scierra people (importers) for me.
Today I get a call saying that these studs are soft and prone to breaking and are for bank side/grass traction not traction on the rocks as I believed.
I spent the money to get decent gear so I would'nt hopefully have to buy again too soon - but at the rate these are breaking and I guess, would wear down was it the right decision - was the info I have been given correct?
sorry this is so long winded - would really appreciate some advice from people with some experience.
Thanks
Dave
Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: tungsten studs??, what exactly should they do?

It seems to me you are getting the run-around. Tungsten is anything but soft! In fact, it's so hard it's usually brittle.
Hopefully the studs are replaceable and the vendor will do the right thing.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi EDYak.

Jackson is exactly right. Tungsten is a very hard metal and is tough. They should have been a good choice for rocky river bottoms. So I am betting they are not tungsten if they are soft. They could be Tungsten plated soft steel. You could have a problem if they are indeed tungsten but not designed correctly. The center of the stud that goes into the boot may be too small in diameter. This would allow the exposed part of the stud to break off.

Tungsten is so hard that the ore can't be processed like iron ore. The ore is process into a powder and and then made into wire using a Sintering process. Tungsten has the highest melting point of any metal and this makes it hard to process. If the process is not done correctly the wire can be fragile.

I don't know for sure but I think Scierra products are made in China. If anyone knows differently please let me know. If they are in fact made in China this may be your problem.

If you can remove one of the studs, it would be a poor design if you can't, take one out and see how the stud is fasten to the boot. If they screw in I would get some of the harder screws like Simms uses.

Frank
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

They should not break under any wading circumstances.. They should be replaced. If Scierra won't do it I would do Like Frank said & If you can remove the studs replace them with some screws. I like the Chota style sheet metal screws.
- Fly Fishing Gear and Accessories
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the replies guys - Its great when you can go back to a retailer armed with a bit of "knowledge".
To be fair the guys at the shop I purchased the boots from were very good - They gave me my money back, so I went in and purchased some Simms boots. They will take up the fight with the importers for me.
So thanks again for the advice.
I'm learning alot form looking through your previous posts and look forward to learning even more.

Dave
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi EDak,

I think you did the right thing to return them. You can't go wrong with Simms products. Did you get the ones with studs?

There are many fly fishers who have learned a lot from NAFFF. It is a wonderful source of information for beginners as well as experienced fly fishers. We have great members and moderators that are truly interested in helping other fly fishers.

Frank
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Tungsten is the world's strongest metal know to mankind. But if the original metal was not fired properly or refined it could break. I would say it is a manufacturer defect and you should get a refund.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree with all of the above advice, and wanted to chime in on the function of studs. Felt works best on clean wet rocks, studs are best at punching through junk on rocks to contact the rock itself, and hopefully stay put. They would have to be fairly long to do most of their good out of the water, so yes i think you were being "fed a line" there.

In the southern hemisphere, do browns spawn in your fall/autumn (now) or ours? Rainbows vice versa?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 AM

I have'nt tried felt boots as they are now banned down here due to Didymo.

As for the spawning it is coming up in our autum/winter - your spring/summer. One of the reasons, I think, our season closes at the end of April till the start of Oct in alot of rivers here.. Thats an educated guess on my part as this is the 1st season I have tried fly fishing.

As it has gone this first season so far I can see its definitly going to become a passion! - probably already has... theres no better way of getting out into our nicer areas.

Dave