The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whose got kayaks?

That Huron canoe looks excellent!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:52 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, It's got one cracked rib and going to need a new canvas in the next few years but I'm keeping it as is until I manage enough courage to tackle that kind of work myself. A local canoe builder charges almost 1 k. to replace the canvas I was tired of the classic green so I chose my own colour.

Marc
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the ISE show yesterday. I have never been a fan of a Kayak because it isn't hands free fishing like a pontoon or a tube, but North Forth was there with their new Solitude Series. It is a Sea/Touring/Fishing Kayak. I didn't look twice at it at the show, cause like I said, hands free thing. He gave us a video.
OMG! The entire kayak is inflatable! I had no idea as it looked like any other kayak. It rolls up into a small backpack. Has all the features of any other kayak. He then turned his body side ways on the boat, stuck flippers on, hung his legs over the side and pointed out the fact it is inflatable, quite comfortable sitting that way. He then kicked around the lake.
I would have thought it to be a bit resistant due to the length, but man it was moving!
So, you can paddle out to your spot. Stop, put flippers on sit sideways and kick around and fish. I NOW get the Kayak idea....:-)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joni,
My wife has an even better deal: I load the canoe onto the car/Jeep, all
the gear, and put it in the water. I string up her rod, and she sits in the bow
while I paddle her to the best spots, and hold us there. She gets the big
fish, and I get to claim some credit as the guide . I just came back in
the house, cuz I had to get our boots and waders, and clean
them. Her job pays much more than mine, so......
Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 PM

IkenI is on a distinguished road

After many years in canoes I went with a Native Ultimate 12. It's really a hybrid - more canoe than kayak. Love the stability and no problem at all to fly fish from (but I have fished lots from a belly boat) I test rode several others including a Hobie and really liked the U12 best. I'm on slow streams, rivers, creeks, and small lakes and ponds. I have tried it but don't normally stand in mine. At my age I'm a little stiff in the joints. My wife has a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and it's a great little kayak. Very easy to fish from. I would choose a Wilderness Tarpon 120 if not for the U12. I don't load my little boats down with electronics or anything that weighs much (except me) I also don't care much for propulsion systems other than a paddle. I save all the fancy stuff for my Lund. The little boats are lots of fun!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi jackh,

I have posted this before. It is a kayak that you can stand in. Works great with a motor. Here is a link to the site.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

What is the Brand/Name of this kayak? Is it an inflatible? What is he Cost?

Thanks,

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I asked this question on another thread but have received little response, so I thought I would re-post on this thread since it seems to be much more active regarding kayaks.....

Ran across the WaveWalk Fishing Kayak on the web - was wondering if anyone has any practical experience with them. They make an interesting argument for their product, and they appear to be accepable for ponds & lakes with fairly calm water. (Although they do show a video using one in the surf as well). Can anyone provide any experienced reviews? Thanks!

http://www.wavewalk.com/W_Fishing_Ka...formation.html

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Frank - Ignore the questions about the Kiwi Angler - I had missed your link. I talked to a local dealer and got the information I needed.

Still looking for any inpout on the WaveWalk Kayak - Thanks,
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM

james is on a distinguished road

get either a nu-canoe or an emotion kayak.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

James,

Bad back and bad knees do not allow the use of a conventional kayak or a sit-on-top kayak. I have a canoe and while it works well, it is blown around too much when I am fishing by myself. Thus I am looking for a yak or a hybrid that sits more upright. Thanks,
Old 08-01-2009, 09:07 AM

james is on a distinguished road

oh.... ummm well that rules out kayak. but look at the nu-canoe its a hybrid and you get get swivil seats for it.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Bad back and bad knees do not allow the use of a conventional kayak or a sit-on-top kayak. I have a canoe and while it works well, it is blown around too much when I am fishing by myself. Thus I am looking for a yak or a hybrid that sits more upright. Thanks,
Check out the Native Watercraft Ultimate - sits lower in the water than a canoe, but open bow (that you can cover with skirts) and a REALLY comfortable seat. This is a link to the 12 ft, but there are other sizes:

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_12.cfm

Last edited by BlueDun; 08-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.