The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Question whose got kayaks?

thinkin about gettin me one. just saw the flatstalker though, that thing looks freakin awesome and i dont think it can be beat for doing exactly what its designed for. its just that a kayak might not be quite as good for trolling the back creeks and flats, but it can handle more situations, seems more versatile. if i had the money id get both, but i think im leaning towards a kayak. what are yalls thoughts?

how is fly fishing from a kayak? never done it, seems like itd be tough to keep from whipping the water on back casts since your so low. thats one reason the flatstalker caught my eye, it was designed for fly fishermen.

thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: whose got kayaks?

I got a kayak but it is actually an open kayak. I prefer it for the area I live in. The rivers and creeks can go from being 3-4 feet deep to 5 inches pretty quickly. I can get out and walk it over the shallow areas. Also I do not find it too hard to fly fish from a kayak. I do not use an over hand cast, but a side arm cast it is a lot easier and my fly line never hits the water in back. I also have small anchor I use too. You might find this odd but I actually use it to slow the yak down in rivers. I like the open yak style. It is techinically a ocean design but it is easier for me, since I am a big guy at 6'7". Makes me fit easier.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 PM

ya i definitely wasn't thinking of gettin the style that you use like a skirt and your down in it. thats not fishing-friendly at all. i was thinking of more like a hobie mirage outback. but its so dam expensive.... makes me lean back towards a flatstalker lol. i can get one for about half the price of that outback..

Hobie Mirage Outback S.U.V. Kayak 2009 - Austin Kayak - Product Details
Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

My yak is a Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game. Looks like this but in a dark green color.

Click the image to open in full size.

I really like it, I usually bring two fly rods and a spinning set up when I go. Where I fish I can run into bass, carp, panfish, walleye, pike, and muskie all in the same day.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM

aftershock is on a distinguished road

i have a prowler 13 love it...
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ancient 12' Perception sit-in with the small cockpit
It's not easy getting in and out of, but it keeps me warm and dry, and keeps my lillywhite legs out of the summer sun.
I don't have any problem fishing from it, but maybe after all these years I'm just use to it.
No reason to trade anyways
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have been thinking about kayaks, but we love our canoe. Getting in and out is
a breeze, and we can carry a ton of gear. It's a Bell Canoe Works Northwind, and has an assymetrical
hull. That allows it to travel quickly through the water, yet it's amazingly stable.
P.S. It weighs 62lbs!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Hobie Revolution

I responded to your original post about the Flatstalker, and I noted that I had a Hobie Revolution. The Revolution might be a better choice than the Outback. The Outback is: slower, harder to paddle (if you needed or wanted to) and it tends to pound in chop. Some dealers do not stock the Outback since the Revolution came out.

You might want to visit the forums at Kayak Fishing Stuff, if you have not already found them. There is lots of information about every type of kayak and gear.

Good luck with your search. If you can, test before you buy.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Hobie Revolution

someone on texaskayakfishermen.com got me interested in the native ultimate. he said its extremely stable, easy to stand up in, has the pedal function but also has reverse (mirage drive does not). havent seen a price on one yet though. it looks a bit deeper than the hobie, maybe it handles rough water better?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough

I have a Pelican 10 footer. I recently added a skirt to help keep the water out, especally when the waves get up. It is a sit in type and I do like it. It is stable and I have no problem casting a fly. I too have a small anchor. Around here (Oklahoma) the wind can sometimes be a problem, especially when it wants to blow you towards the shore. I just drop paddle out to slightly deeper water upwind of where I want to fish and drop anchor. I let out enough line to set me where I want to be as I fish. It works great.

Now if I can just keep the damn speed boaters away I can enjoy the day. For some reason they want to see if I can stay afloat after their wake hits me.

Kamin's Third Law - Combined total taxation from all levels of Government will always increase until the Government is replaced by war or revolution.