The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default "stuff" logistics

I usually fish not that far from a parked vehicle- hike in a little, no more than a 1/2 mile most times. I've been thinking about situations where the walk in is a lot farther- a couple of miles, and maybe down hill a bit. What do most of you do to get your gear in? A backpack for your waders? When you get stream side- cache your pack, put your hiking boots in it and pick it up on the way out?
What if you want to wade a long ways up stream? Put water and lunch in your vest? Wear a small pack while fishing?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: "stuff" logistics

Every time that I hike a number of miles and fish back I just hike in my waders, or light wading pants in hot months. The wading boots that I use for this are rubber soles with no spikes. Last season I changed from a vest to a sling pack. It holds all of my fishing gear plus lunch. Water is a filtered water bottle on a "D" ring so just fill up on the stream.

Last edited by Jimmie; 12-18-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: wet wading
Old 12-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I guess I have done everything on your list at one time or another. It really depends on how far and how remote a place is to determine what and how I do the trip. Here life has changed because I use boats to reach places that are remote. With that option I have a cooler on board. For the walk from the road fishing I have an old Filson strap vest pack in the shelter cloth (waxed) and I toss a mini thermos and some granola bars in the pack along with rain gear and fire starting supplies.

But then sometimes I just walk off as if I'm going to Safeway so I guess I really have no plan at all when that happens.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I guess I have done everything on your list at one time or another. It really depends on how far and how remote a place is to determine what and how I do the trip. Here life has changed because I use boats to reach places that are remote. With that option I have a cooler on board. For the walk from the road fishing I have an old Filson strap vest pack in the shelter cloth (waxed) and I toss a mini thermos and some granola bars in the pack along with rain gear and fire starting supplies.

But then sometimes I just walk off as if I'm going to Safeway so I guess I really have no plan at all when that happens.

Ard
Hey Ard, don't forget the blunderbuss fer them ursine critters!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I travel right around 1500 miles on the rivers here each year and we camp quite a bit. We do not ignore bears but they are really over hyped as far as I can see. Every now and then we see some but not many. This past year just one brown and 3 blacks. They all took off when they heard us. It has something to do with being shot I think.

Bear attacks are like being hit head-on by a drunk driver. Sensationalized events except you have a better chance of being hit by a drunk than killed by a bear, even here, especially here. Bear spray is the ticket for piece of mind.

Ard

Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I travel right around 1500 miles on the rivers here each year and we camp quite a bit. We do not ignore bears but they are really over hyped as far as I can see. Every now and then we see some but not many. This past year just one brown and 3 blacks. They all took off when they heard us. It has something to do with being shot I think.

Bear attacks are like being hit head-on by a drunk driver. Sensationalized events except you have a better chance of being hit by a drunk than killed by a bear, even here, especially here. Bear spray is the ticket for piece of mind.

Ard
But when was the last time you got to say "blunderbuss" ?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator

My old buddy from PA. used to call my Grouse gun 'The Blunderbuss' because it was cylinder bore and I used 9 shot with spreader wads in the top tube and 7 shot buffered in the bottom in case I missed the first round. It has been a while since those days.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Effective! Didn't mean to hijack your thread R.O. I usually take a day pack when stream fishing and what goes in it varies by season mainly. More sustenance for longer summer days and more foul weather gear in winter. milt.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I take an old backpack that I used for school years ago. I "always" have a first aid kit in it as well as a water filtration system. Then goes in the water bottle, lunch, flies, and anything else I probably won't need but makes me feel prepared (Boy Scouts #524!).

As for hiking, I'll usually just wear my wading boots, unless the terrain is a bit challenging. Then it's sneakers or boots.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Most of my hiking when fishing takes place during Steelhead Time. I have a small backpack/vest combo equipped with two pockets on the back; a small one for a couple of fly boxes, and a large one where the adjustment straps are hidden and also a hydration pouch if you want to use one. I have enough room there to carry a couple of water bottles, some snacks, extra fingerless gloves, and a wool "Radar" cap. I have enough room left to carry a layer of fleece if it warms up enough to shed some.

Dan