The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 08:14 AM

JonnyBFlyFisher is on a distinguished road
Default Customizing My Boots - Your Thoughts Please.

Hi There.

I've just purchased a pair of the Simms Freestone with Vibram Soles. I liked the price point and the comfort factor, but worry that the synthetic material won't be strong enough to fish in streams with lots of gravel. They look as though they'd ware through quickly.

What are your thoughts on spraying the toes, heals, and sides of the boots (all but the area with the vent holes) with a hard coating (like spray on bed liner for pick-up trucks) to prevent scuffing and eventual wear through of the synthetic leather like material of the boot. I notice a lot of higher priced boots have a coating already applied to the toe for that exact reason.

Let me know if you think this is a bad idea.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Customizing My Boots - Your Thoughts Please.

I would say that would be a good idea with spraying the boots with a spray on liner or something... BUT, if you have a truck, or have seen a truck with the liner sprayed in it, it is slick. If it is wet it gets even more slick, so I would probably say don't do that. I think that for the heel and toe part, assuming you mean the top part, I wouldn't see a huge problem with the top of the toe or the back of the boot, but I don't think that it would make a big difference. Also, I'm not sure how it would dry on there, if it would be really stiff, or if it would be heavier for you to pick up when walking.
I would hate to see you step on a rock and slip because of the slick surfaces... Could turn out to be a bad idea...
I could be wrong about that stuff, but that is just my own opinion, take it for what it's worth. lol

HookEmHorns
Old 03-16-2009, 06:03 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Simms has a pretty good warranty policy & is a good name brand. I wouldn't worry about it. If you still are worried get in touch with Simms on line & ask them about it. I think that would be the the place to go to get the best info....
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I've got a pair of Simms Rivershed vibram sole boots. Pretty much the same material as your's. I'm not going to worry about it. That's like worrying about the plane you're flying in is going to crash. Wear the damn things. They're wading boots. Sand and gravel is nothing to a good wading boot. I'd be more worried if I had to hop boulders and smaller hoonies.
Fish 'em. If they wear out, send them back to Simms. Don't Worry. Be happy