The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Freedom Hawk Kayak

Hey y'all,

Freedom 14 Kayak

I'm sure that many of you have seen these kayaks, but I wanted to see what everyone thought of them?

Personally, I think that they would work pretty good, to a certain extent... I would think that if the water was somewhat calm, it would be excellent, but in the windier days I would think that it would feel kind of uncomfortable on it... On the video, they look kind of iffy... I don't know what to think of them. So what would you say would be good or bad about it?
I still think that I would like a Hobie kayak better, but that's just personal preference I guess... haha

Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Freedom Hawk Kayak

Looks pretty cool for shallow rivers and lakes.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Its a neat idea, but they're pricey and heavy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Yeah. I thought that it was a great idea. But you are right, it is pretty heavy. Probably too heavy for me to pick up and put on top of my jeep! haha. That would take some strength and lots of balance.

I was also thinking about a canoe. But I didn't know how sturdy they were and if two could fish well out of them standing up. I don't cast well sitting down at all. As a matter of fact, I don't cast well standing up! lol.

HookEmHorns
Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

With the outriggers removed, 63 lbs isn't too much for one person to load. I think my Wilderness Systems "The Ride" weighs about 60 lbs and I load and unload it by myself all the time. The are pricey though....

If my wallet could handle it, I would definitely get one. I don't mind casting from a seated position but it definitely gets a little tricky when nature calls if you can't stand up.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Yeah. I thought that it was a great idea. But you are right, it is pretty heavy. Probably too heavy for me to pick up and put on top of my jeep! haha. That would take some strength and lots of balance.

I was also thinking about a canoe. But I didn't know how sturdy they were and if two could fish well out of them standing up. I don't cast well sitting down at all. As a matter of fact, I don't cast well standing up! lol.

HookEmHorns
LOL!! I got a big kick out of this. Actually a long 9" rod casts very nicely from a yak

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

this is what I use

Click the image to open in full size.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Nice boat Dave. Will you be using it for the Shad run on the James this spring? I've never gone after Shad but I'm intrigued and want to give it a try. My Wilderness Systems yak has served me well on the James for smallies...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:57 PM

it is my intention to catch some shad from this yak. I am planning to take a weeks vacation late in April( 20th -24th) and turkey hunt and shad fish. Maybe we can hook up dshort.