The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Boots

I am considering replacing my boots....looking real hard at the Korker Cross Current boots. Cabelas has a decent deal on them.

Any opinions or alternatives?

Got a $100 AMEX gift card to use...thought I'd use it wisely, never mind that the car needs tires and a windshield (budgeted that already...somewhat)
Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Boots

Axle,

I have a pair two seasons now and they are holding up OK. I only give them an OK because I have noticed some stitching coming loose on the right boot so pay close attention to the construction when you get them.

As for the exchange a sole system I have no beef with it and I walk a lot, I'm not always in a boat I have heard horror stories about the sole coming off while in use and I think they must not have been put on correctly. I ended up getting the Clingon Rubber with studs although they came with plain rubber and felt. The felt works but drags lots of mud, sand, and who knows what back to the truck or boat so I hung them up and got the rubber stud sole last year, good to go.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM

khl is on a distinguished road

I picked up a pair of the Torrent Wading Shoes this season. I've only went out a couple of times, but they were very comfortable in comparison to another pair of boots with felt soles that I used. I only have the rubber sole for the korkers and I think they work really well. Both of my trips were about 4 to 5 hours on the river, with mixed gravel/rock/sand/grass/mud/asphalt for terrain. My feet were perfectly comfy all day and the traction was adequate.

The interchangeable sole system is pretty cool and I also don't think they'd slip unless they were put in wrong. You literally need to pry them in with the provided tool in order to get them in properly.

One thing I noticed with the korkers I got was that the sizing was done as if you weren't wearing waders with neoprene booties (I guess that makes sense as you could definitely wear the shoes without waders) so my shoes are 4 sizes bigger than my normal shoe size. If this holds true for the boots you're looking into (they probably do as the soles are all sized and interchangeable but I could be wrong on this), you may want to try them out at the store to get the proper sizing.

Happy Holidays.

Kai
Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dittos' on the sizing, mine are three sizes larger than my regular shoe...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Korker Guide or Korker Chrome wading boots. I have a pair of "Guide" and I really like them, they are light in weight and I like the interchangeable soles.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up. Korkers is changing its sole interface for 2011. The 2010 style soles will still be available. They just have to be special ordered through a Korkers authorized dealer.

MP
Old 12-23-2010, 01:43 PM

khl is on a distinguished road

Good to know. Thanks MP. I'll score an extra pair of soles sometime before they become hard to get.

Kai.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:20 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I put up a token resistance, then I ordered the boots and an extra set of soles for $92 shipped.

MP, I saw a video of the new, 2011 boots and it seems the big difference is that you don't need the "tool" to install them. It clicks into place when you walk. The rest of it is the same: click in under the toe and clipping at the heel.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I put up a token resistance, then I ordered the boots and an extra set of soles for $92 shipped.

MP, I saw a video of the new, 2011 boots and it seems the big difference is that you don't need the "tool" to install them. It clicks into place when you walk. The rest of it is the same: click in under the toe and clipping at the heel.
Korkers does state that the new Chrome boots don't require a tool to change out the interchangeable soles, which may be an advantage; however, I'd wait to see user reviews, since they IMHO overhyped the ease of changing out the interchangeable soles in the previous two models (both of which I have). Since these new soles are not interchangeable with the earlier models, I went ahead and bought a set of the previous Guide model with the BOA fast lacing system (with my bad back, should have bought them in the beginning), since the several interchangeable soles I already had with my previous Korkers model will interchange with these.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Korkers interchangeable soles. It's great to be able to hike a couple miles in the rubber cleated soles, then change to either felt or Kling-On (studded or not). Yes, they may not interchange quite as easily as Korkers says, but they beat the hell out of any other boots' interchangeability (like, no other brands have interchangeable soles). My only problem is that I now have three pair of Korkers' boots (three different models, spread over two different sizes), so please don't tell my wife.