The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Korkers? Anybody tried the sandles or the shoe's

They really look good and you can change out the soles.. The issue is.. $139 bucks down to $90...

I am about ready to replace my heavy boots and these really look like the way to go.. However, they are not cheap... I like the idea of hiking with the hiking soles and then changing over to felt.

Let me know what all you all think?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:15 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Korkers? Anybody tried the sandles or the shoe's

I've never used Korkers, from everything I hear, they are a first rate product, I've just never been able to justify the cost. I have used, what MIGHT be a less costly version -

Click the image to open in full size.

These are called HT Enterpises SUPER STUD SANDAL CLEAT. They cost about $20 or less.

I've used these extensively when ice fishing. I've walked several hundred miles in them. They are comfortable to walk in, and they stay on remarkably well. Of course, I'm not sure if they would stay on as well under water. Might be worth a shot.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I have a pair of the less expensive Korkers, pd around $80. I'm completely satisfied with them. They're very light and comfortable. Ankle support is also very good. Mine came with felt and studded lug soles. Both soles work well in the waters I fish. The studs (actually small self-drilling screws) are coming out of the soles. All that's needed is to replace them. I was in a fly shop yesterday and they had a pair on sale for $50. I snapped those up for my son, and ordered a pair of Aquastealth soles for mine. That's the beauty of the Korkers. When the soles wear, or you want to change, all you need do is buy new, and snap them in.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 AM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

I was caught up with the Korkers after visiting their booth at the local Fly Fishing Expo. Yes I bought a pair. For me it was not money well spent.

Two issues I have with the shoe are:1. The soles are very difficult to interchange. Those demonstrated at the booth were very flexible and easy to change. Not the case in real life at stream side with the temp at 35 degrees.
2. The sole housing is a very hard slick composite that has no grip. One must be standing flat footed to benefit from the felt sole. While walking on slick rocks I found myself in jeopardy. Probably 15-20% of the sole is the housing.

Rusty
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydeej View Post
I was caught up with the Korkers after visiting their booth at the local Fly Fishing Expo. Yes I bought a pair. For me it was not money well spent.

Two issues I have with the shoe are:1. The soles are very difficult to interchange. Those demonstrated at the booth were very flexible and easy to change. Not the case in real life at stream side with the temp at 35 degrees.
2. The sole housing is a very hard slick composite that has no grip. One must be standing flat footed to benefit from the felt sole. While walking on slick rocks I found myself in jeopardy. Probably 15-20% of the sole is the housing.

Rusty
Rusty,

1. I completely agree with you about the difficulty of interchanging the soles. I have both the original 1st generation Korkers Konvertibles and the 2nd generation Korkers Crossovers. In my opinion, the 1st generation were a lot easier to change out that my more recent Crossovers. However, the difficulty in interchanging the soles has to be compared to boots that aren't interchangeable at all. In other words, so what if you and I are having so much difficulty in interchanging the soles - with any other brand we'd be stuck with what sole's on them anyway and wouldn't even have the option of changing the sole, no matter how difficult it may be with the Korkers (particularly at low temperatures). And one real advantage is that even if one doesn't interchange the soles at streamside that often, when they're worn out it's a lot easier (perhaps at home in a warm room) to change out for a new set of soles than to try doing the same with boots which aren't meant for sole changes.

2. On your point about 15-20% of the felt sole being a hard slippery composite material, I'm baffled. I have felt and studded felt soles for both my Korkers, and they are all felt on the contact surfaces.

BTW & FWIW, reason I have two pairs is that my originals were marginally too small, so when I gained some temporary weight, I bought a larger pair.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Thanks everybody... Keep the input coming... The idea of hiking without felt and then changing over is very attractive.. But if it is hard then I might be more inclined to hold off.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If anyone is interested, I just saw that Sierra Traders had Korker felts on sale for $19.99. Don't ask me why I was on that site today.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

May I ask: Where are you getting the Korkers for $30.00 off?

Randy