The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Wading Boot Size (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/8878-wading-boot-size.html)

MikeG 04-09-2009 12:43 PM

Wading Boot Size

How does everyone size their wading boots? Do you wear your shoe size? Go up a size or two? Or go down a size?

Another thing is that Simms produces their wading boots in EEE, anyone who has simms do you notice much of a difference at all in width?

axle27 04-09-2009 01:32 PM

Re: Wading Boot Size

I got mine about 1.5 to 2 sizes too big because like extra socks and add in the Neoprene, and it gets tight.

Hardyreels 04-09-2009 01:36 PM

I don't have a rule of thumb for this. I try them on unless I'm buying the same boot that I just wore out.

BigCliff 04-09-2009 01:38 PM

It varies depending on the boot and the make. I've got a pair of Simms Guide boots in 12 that fit about right with a pair of Simms Guide socks, but are super tight over my Simms Guide waders. (All circa 2001) With my waders, I wear a size 14 Patagonia Beefy Wading shoe, that was supposed to be built on an especially wide last. They aren't huge, but do allow room for a slightly heavier sock than my standard Smartwool Hiking model. If I were to order boots without trying them on, I'd go with a 13, but would only buy from a site that made exchange easy.

I normally wear a size 12 in a dress/athletic shoe, if its wider than average. I wear a size 11 EE Justin Boot.

MikeG 04-09-2009 06:11 PM

In a dress/athletic shoe I wear a 14(really a size 13.5). I have a pair of 14 EE wading boots that are a hair to tight when I am in the water. My problem is that I dont like felt bottom boots and I only found one company that makes a size 15 wading boot besides Cabela's.

BigCliff 04-10-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeG (Post 55921)
In a dress/athletic shoe I wear a 14(really a size 13.5). I have a pair of 14 EE wading boots that are a hair to tight when I am in the water. My problem is that I dont like felt bottom boots and I only found one company that makes a size 15 wading boot besides Cabela's.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Simms will make some for you. For only the cost of some Sage rods.

MikeG 04-10-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff (Post 55991)
Oh, I'm pretty sure Simms will make some for you. For only the cost of some Sage rods.

Yea they will but it costs at least $200 per boot and if I want the new Vibram Rivertreads it is an extra $150 per boot. I am not going to pay $700 for wading boots. I might just have to get a pair of simms waders and do the bootfoot program with muck boots.

KRD 04-10-2009 09:23 PM

I take my neoprene socks to the store with me and try on the boots.

BigCliff 04-11-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeG (Post 56004)
Yea they will but it costs at least $200 per boot and if I want the new Vibram Rivertreads it is an extra $150 per boot. I am not going to pay $700 for wading boots. I might just have to get a pair of simms waders and do the bootfoot program with muck boots.

OK, that's ridiculous. Didn't think it'd be the price of one of their SPEY rods. You sure it wasn't $150 for both? seems kinda ridiculous to have a one rubber/one felt sole option.

Hardyreels 04-11-2009 04:25 PM

Ditto on the price thing Cliff.

I have had many types (wading shoe) over the years and the ones that lasted the longest were an old pair of Red Ball rubber & canvas with a felt sole that I bought to go with a pair of Seal Dri waders in the early seventies. I wore those shoes for 8 years of hard use. They cost $19 back then. Now I wear out a pair of $120 - $149 wading shoes every three years.