The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Wading Boot Size

How does everyone size their wading boots? Do you wear your shoe size? Go up a size or two? Or go down a size?

Another thing is that Simms produces their wading boots in EEE, anyone who has simms do you notice much of a difference at all in width?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wading Boot Size

I got mine about 1.5 to 2 sizes too big because like extra socks and add in the Neoprene, and it gets tight.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't have a rule of thumb for this. I try them on unless I'm buying the same boot that I just wore out.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It varies depending on the boot and the make. I've got a pair of Simms Guide boots in 12 that fit about right with a pair of Simms Guide socks, but are super tight over my Simms Guide waders. (All circa 2001) With my waders, I wear a size 14 Patagonia Beefy Wading shoe, that was supposed to be built on an especially wide last. They aren't huge, but do allow room for a slightly heavier sock than my standard Smartwool Hiking model. If I were to order boots without trying them on, I'd go with a 13, but would only buy from a site that made exchange easy.

I normally wear a size 12 in a dress/athletic shoe, if its wider than average. I wear a size 11 EE Justin Boot.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 PM

In a dress/athletic shoe I wear a 14(really a size 13.5). I have a pair of 14 EE wading boots that are a hair to tight when I am in the water. My problem is that I dont like felt bottom boots and I only found one company that makes a size 15 wading boot besides Cabela's.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
In a dress/athletic shoe I wear a 14(really a size 13.5). I have a pair of 14 EE wading boots that are a hair to tight when I am in the water. My problem is that I dont like felt bottom boots and I only found one company that makes a size 15 wading boot besides Cabela's.
Oh, I'm pretty sure Simms will make some for you. For only the cost of some Sage rods.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure Simms will make some for you. For only the cost of some Sage rods.
Yea they will but it costs at least $200 per boot and if I want the new Vibram Rivertreads it is an extra $150 per boot. I am not going to pay $700 for wading boots. I might just have to get a pair of simms waders and do the bootfoot program with muck boots.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I take my neoprene socks to the store with me and try on the boots.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Yea they will but it costs at least $200 per boot and if I want the new Vibram Rivertreads it is an extra $150 per boot. I am not going to pay $700 for wading boots. I might just have to get a pair of simms waders and do the bootfoot program with muck boots.
OK, that's ridiculous. Didn't think it'd be the price of one of their SPEY rods. You sure it wasn't $150 for both? seems kinda ridiculous to have a one rubber/one felt sole option.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ditto on the price thing Cliff.

I have had many types (wading shoe) over the years and the ones that lasted the longest were an old pair of Red Ball rubber & canvas with a felt sole that I bought to go with a pair of Seal Dri waders in the early seventies. I wore those shoes for 8 years of hard use. They cost $19 back then. Now I wear out a pair of $120 - $149 wading shoes every three years.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;