The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough
Default Polarized Sunglasses

I'm searching for good affordable polarized sunglasses. I have a couple of pair of cheapos that a ok for general use but they don't seem to do a good job of cutting the glare off water. I fish small streams with a lot of filtered sunlight and a lot of high-contrast situations... Anyone have any recommendations on what I should look for or for a specific pair. I have a very poor track record of hanging on to sunglasses. Price is a big factor in my choice... thanks...

EDIT: Does anyone have experience with the Orvis superlight sunglasses (in the 50 buck range)?

Last edited by dhaynes; 01-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Polarized Sunglasses

Not cheap, but I love my RayBan polarized glass lenses. I use them while I kayak and everything. For $5 you can get the thing that attaches to the glasses and they float if you drop them. However, I have never dropped mine; They have been knocked off my face but the cord always keeps them around my neck...
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its funny you say that cause I can hold on to cheepos for ever! I've lost my Costas, my Electrics, Orvis and so far my Smiths have stayed put. So far the Smiths have been the better glasses but the most exspensive too, but you get what you pay for. Good glasses are a good investment, protects your eyes from the sun and those casts that get away from us, and gives you an added boost of confidence cause you can see what you're after.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I trashed and lost cheap glasses, which was probably a good thing in that allot of them distorted and probably did more damage to my eyes.

Like others, I switched to expensive (Oakley, Smith, Gargoyle, Costa Del, Orvis). Okay the Costa Dels are swimming in a high mountain lake, but that was truly and accident and prompted the add on floats as suggested.
I still have the other glasses as I too found that I didn't misplace the more pricy pair.

My choice are the Orvis HVO's. Glass lenses but very well balanced. No distortion what so ever and much more scratch resistant then plastic lenses. They can be found on sale often.

I also like the Tri-spectrum...those are amazing.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I had a 135 dollar pair of Orvis polarized, aviator sunglasses for at least twelve years. I loved 'em. They finally broke on my last trip to New Brunswick. I had just purchased a spare pair of Smith Action Optics on ebay for about 75 bucks - as luck would have it.

I couldn't believe the difference!! I could actually see through the water column with the Smiths. They are orders of magnitude better than the older Orvis' that I had. They have the amber lenses. I'm still amazed at the difference between the two. I'm going to buy another pair of the Smith Action Optics for a spare for the coming year. Highly recommend.
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 01-02-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
I'm searching for good affordable polarized sunglasses. I have a couple of pair of cheapos that a ok for general use but they don't seem to do a good job of cutting the glare off water. I fish small streams with a lot of filtered sunlight and a lot of high-contrast situations... Anyone have any recommendations on what I should look for or for a specific pair. I have a very poor track record of hanging on to sunglasses. Price is a big factor in my choice... thanks...

EDIT: Does anyone have experience with the Orvis superlight sunglasses (in the 50 buck range)?

I just noticed the last sentence.

I had a pare of these Polarized Sunglasses / Superlight Wraith Sunglasses -- Orvis

Loved them but I forgot, they are somewhere in the Madison river...LOL They are wonderful. I did replace them and new pair I leave in the trailer....just love the HVO's too much.

As mentioned however, Smiths are awesome. The Madison river episode was when I bought mine and they were around $75. Add to that, the smiths got scratched up bad by falling off once, Smiths gave me a brand new pair. Big plus (bit so did Orvis, on my 3 yr old HVO's when the ear piece finally broke)

I wear mine all the time.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I have 3 pairs of Native's. I have done the cheap route and been disappointed. I keep three pairs of Hard Top XP. With the nice lens interchangeable system I keep one as polarized sunglasses, then I have amber lens in another set for driving in the winter and then I keep a spare set that generally has clear lens for the shooting range.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

i suggest you should look at the Maui Jim Sport line up.
Quite affordable at $150ish.. and a bunch to choose from.
Try their HT or Bronze.. you'll never regret
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

one word: SMITH

casey

ARFE
Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM

bergie812 is on a distinguished road

Expensive glasses are the way to go. You get what you pay for. Smith and Maui Jim's are great with a grey or bronze lens. I ALWAYS buy a holder/ croakie for mine and usually hold onto them for years. I did donate a pair to the Arkansas above the Royal Gorge when a big wave pulled them off my head. Glass lenses hold up better but plastic is lighter, I have both.