The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wading staff

I went from a Folstaff to a beefier Folstaff. Being a bit gimpy I really lean on my staff and simply couldn't wade without one.
Over time I tried ski poles which were way too whimpy, telescoping hiking staffs which only failed when they were needed most, streamside sticks which were cheap and previlent but unreliable and not always available when needed. I tried the Simms staff but didn't like the fact it took two hands to make ready unless you wore it like a solid stick, and collapsed it was too long (no doubt the Folstaff spoiled me in that department too)
I have no problem at all paying a bit extra (did you hear that... I said a bit extra?) to the people who came up with the original design of a product good enough to have some marketing 'genius' have China clone it.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
I have a folding staff, $49.00 from Cabelas, with a holster. I attached a magnet to the handle, and on on the holster (net keeper from allen and co), so that when I am mid water, I can just hook the magnets and it is always right there at my left hip. d
I'm a big fan of the collapsible wading staffs (bought mine several years ago at Hook & Hackle for around $20). They can be immediately taken out of their holsters when needed (which is usually an emergency situation). While they can stick in the rocks and temporarily come apart - which is startling when it happens - that's generally an easy situation to rectify.

Generally when I hit the water and feel the need for my wading staff, I don't "re-collapse" it but instead let it drift next to me. I keep it close by use of a belt attachment that has a two-piece magnet (similar to net magnetic attachments) which has an adjustable-length shock cord connected at each end to the two parts of the magnet. When the staff is fully extended and not in use, it floats in the water and is kept in close reach by the magnets being attached together. Of course, when you need it, the magnets separate easily to give you the range that you have adjusted the shock cord for. Sounds more complicated than it is, as the picture inserted below will show.

There are a number of quality wading staffs that assemble other than by a shock cord assembly. However, I consider it essential that a wading staff be able to be quickly assembled one-handed in an emergency; thus, I would only buy one that instantly assembled upon bringing it out of its holster, and so far I haven't seen any other than the shock-corded models that fit the bill.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 01-16-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Insert picture
Old 01-15-2011, 12:25 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

another .02

i have had this "cheapo" wading staff going on 3 years now. ive used it for 2 seasons in ak, plus fishing here in illinois. it even worked as my walking/rehab stick when i dropped a camper tongue on my foot last spring! used it every day for seven weeks. not once has it failed me in any way. i have friends who own folstaffs that absolutely love my cheap but ultra reliable wading tool. so, if the "name"of something is more important than the functionality, do as you like. this, however, is my staff of choice.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

ARFE
Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Wading staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
another .02

i have had this "cheapo" wading staff going on 3 years now. ive used it for 2 seasons in ak, plus fishing here in illinois. it even worked as my walking/rehab stick when i dropped a camper tongue on my foot last spring! used it every day for seven weeks. not once has it failed me in any way. i have friends who own folstaffs that absolutely love my cheap but ultra reliable wading tool. so, if the "name"of something is more important than the functionality, do as you like. this, however, is my staff of choice.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Caseywise, this is exactly the wading staff I have, and like you, it has been used hard and often and has never failed me. Don't know why I would want one more expensive either. The only problem I have had with it is that occasionally the ferrules "freeze up" when I try to disassemble it for storage back in its holster. I've used both wax and then later a rod ferrule lubricant like U-40 (a/k/a Renzetti Ferrule Lubricant) which helps, but needs more frequent re-application than would your rod. I guess that's understandable when you consider how much more force is applied to the wading staff, and aluminum seems to tend to "grip" more than some other materials - good in aluminum wading boot studs but not necessarily in wading staff ferrules.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Same staff I use as well, when the sections stick, tap the joint on a rock, then they come apart (at least they have for me so far). I have 3 seasons under my belt with this staff so far, and I think I got mine when it went on sale at sportsmans for like $30. I added a magnet to the clip on the bag, and to the handle of the staff so I could hook it to my waist mid river.

Dave
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
if the "name"of something is more important than the functionality, do as you like.
Think about it, without that "name" brand, the el cheapo models wouldn't be around as they would have no design to rip off.