The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Wading staff

I know they have collapsable wading staffs for about $100 but are there any cheaper alternatives? If you have a solid staff what do you do when you get to the spot you want to fish? let it dangle off a belt? Put it on shore?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Wading staff

Owl.

I have a Folstaff but gave it to my wife. I replaced it with another (larger) collapsible staff that I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse at a very affordable price but I can't quote it. You need to shop around a bit, I prefer the folding vs. solid or telescoping type. When I don't require the use it is stowed neatly in a belt holster and you don't even realize it is there. When you need it you are ready in a matter of seconds. A very handy piece of gear and one that has probably saved me taking a few spills over the years.

The older you get the more you tend to err on the side of caution eh?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Erring on the side of caution

Here, Here! What Ard said! I have a Folstaff, and wouldn't head to the river without it. Don't need it, its in the holster. Need it, and its keeping me upright. There are some wonderful places I fish that I simply could not anymore without the staff. If you shop around, you can find Folstaff's for less than a hundred, but it takes some hunting. (the profit margin on those staffs must be equal to the margin picture framers enjoy - high and mighty).

I'm pretty sure you couldn't convince me to rely on a telescopic staff; everything I have that is telescopic (light stands, painting poles, etc) fails on a regular basis.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Erring on the side of caution

I have tried using a collapsable pole, but I found that it shook around too much in fast water. Actually I still use it, but I think I am going to opt for a Hart's River Stalker Wading Staff. It is solid wood and does not shake around like aluminum poles. I have used my friend's, and I am impressed how solid it is. When I am not using it, I let it dangle from my wading belt.

MP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Erring on the side of caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
but I think I am going to opt for a Hart's River Stalker Wading Staff.
Harts River Stalker is the only way to go!

Click the image to open in full size.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:27 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I have a one that collapses into a holster and it's ok...cabelas...

My buddy is a newbie and he just took an old ski pole and made a real nice staff out of it in 15 minutes. My next staff (if i ever need one) will be an old ski pole...
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i use a collapsible style staff as well. the model i have is extremely durable and i think i got it from the cabelas bargain barn for around 30.00. it sits in a holster on my wading belt at the ready whenever i may need it and the coil lanyard easily allows the staff to drag along behind me as i fish. definitely a great tool to have if needed.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a folding staff, $49.00 from Cabelas, with a holster. I attached a magnet to the handle, and on on the holster (net keeper from allen and co), so that when I am mid water, I can just hook the magnets and it is always right there at my left hip.

The cork cracked one day, I taped it up with waterproof tape, I keep thinking I will get a folstaff, but I have not yet, this one has lasted me 3 seasons now. I would not think about wading the Truckee without a wading staff on my hip. this aluminum cheapie is not the greatest staff, but it works, and I have gotten my moneys worth out of it.

d
Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

i use the fish pond one.

fishpond - SLIPPERY ROCK WADING PRO

its undr 100 bucks (got mine for 80 at north platte fly shops online) and it collapses down. i slip it between my belt and waders
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of good suggestions for which staff to buy. I have the Folstaff and, as GT suggests, would not hit the river without it.

Now, about your second question, what do you do with it when you get to a spot to fish....

Collapsing the staff every time I stop is simply not feasible, especially considering I am a hit-and-move-on kind of guy. I employ a magnetic net holder, one magnet tied into the staff's tether near it's handle, the other on a loop that I hang from my belt. When the magnets are "hooked" the staff handle is at my hip. I also regularly let the staff float along behind/beside me, particularly if while stepping it clicks on the stream bed.

It's been a good system for me.

Last edited by Sep; 01-16-2011 at 08:16 AM.