The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: Favorite Floatant
Liquid in the bottle 12 31.58%
Gel 15 39.47%
Powder in the tube 7 18.42%
other (Describe) 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Favorite Floatant

I carry 2 with me:

Frog's Fanny for my CDC flies.

Gehrkes Gink for everything else.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hy to all,

I like to soak my dry flies in Hydrostop at the bench. The same with yarn indicators. On the water I use Aquel.

Frank
Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hy to all,

I like to soak my dry flies in Hydrostop at the bench. The same with yarn indicators. On the water I use Aquel.

Frank
Hi Frank,

Where do you purchase Hydrostop? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Any case on the water i use frogs fanny.

Cheers

Richard
Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

"On another site they were talking about using " Albolene" make up remover as a paste floatant on furled leaders & flies, It's looks like a thinned down vaseline. I stole a glob of it from the wife but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Has anyone out there tried it"

Well, I finally got around to trying that Alboline as a fly floatant paste & it works as well as anything on the market. I used it to float my furled leader as well. I tried it on some old flyline & it cleaned it up pretty well with no apparent damage to the line. Does any one have any experience with using this stuff???
Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Poo Goo (RIO).
Frog's Fanny for CDC.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
"On another site they were talking about using " Albolene" make up remover as a paste floatant on furled leaders & flies, It's looks like a thinned down vaseline. I stole a glob of it from the wife but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Has anyone out there tried it"

Well, I finally got around to trying that Alboline as a fly floatant paste & it works as well as anything on the market. I used it to float my furled leader as well. I tried it on some old flyline & it cleaned it up pretty well with no apparent damage to the line. Does any one have any experience with using this stuff???
I've been using the Alboline & I recommend it. It works like Gink & seems to have the same ingredients in it & is a whole lot cheaper. I put it on a furled leader & it floated it for hours. It worked great on dries too. I put it in a little travel shampoo bottle with a small opening so I can just squeeze a little at a time out. The other advantage is that it softens your hands for flytying.......
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Fishn50,
Interesting tip, I just hope my wife doesn't start using Gink to remove her makeup. lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Fishn50. Loon Aquel to start, Loon crystals to dry and then more Aquel. I just bought a bottle of Sci.Ang. floatant on recommendation to compare to the Aquel. I also re-discovered Mucillin for my leader and fly line when it starts dipping. 15 years and it still works. Now what to do with the Zink?