The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: Favorite Floatant
Liquid in the bottle 12 31.58%
Gel 15 39.47%
Powder in the tube 7 18.42%
other (Describe) 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Favorite Floatant

in the market for some new floatant, let's hear it
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Floatant

Powder in a TUBE or Jar with brush LOL Frog's Fanny for me! Mucilin if I need a paste.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm on board with Joni,

I like the crystal type powder to squish out the water and then follow with Frog's Fanny before I toss it back in. Never saw anything restore a dry like that treatment except a good steaming.

I must add, once you find something that really works buy enough to last the rest of your life. Why? Because I have seen many good products discontinued and you can bet your butt it wont get any cheaper.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Phoam.

Phuk phlotant.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I usually carry a small vial of 91% alcohol to get the fish slime off my CDC flies & then I use a powdered dessicant to finish drying them off. On regular flies I put on loon's Aquel when I first tie them on & I'll use the powdered dessicant to dry them off between fish or when they get waterlogged & start sinking & then another dose of Aquel. I sometimes will get a bottle of a liquid floatant & put in a small vial & I'll just clean the fly with alcohol & then shake it up in the vial of floatant.
On another site they were talking about using " Albolene" make up remover as a paste floatant on furled leaders & flies, It's looks like a thinned down vaseline. I stole a glob of it from the wife but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Has anyone out there tried it ???
Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I've been really happy with Frog's Fanny. It works into the fly, and you don't have to mash it to work the powder in. When I use the thick liquid stuff it makes more work to get the fly looking nice........at least for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting post Cliff................................

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Phoam.

Phuk phlotant.
What happens when phoam doesn't work?.......Phuk phishing?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
What happens when phoam doesn't work?.......Phuk phishing?
Throw wets, emergers, and nymphs, they catch more fish anyway.

I imagine I'd have a different view if I regularly got to fish for trout on dries, but down here in buckets-of-bluegill-land, I just skip floatant and stick with foam flies.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Here, unlike my native Pennsylvania I do 100% of my fishing sub surface. Although I still have a box of floatant. Like I said, when you find what works, buy a lifetime supply.